Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection barrel window?

My barrel window is on the lid...and therefore, flat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How well does that work on the lid Jim? Do you have any pictures of it? I would think with the static dust build up that it would be hard to see down far enough to see where the dust is.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Lee, that's a great answer and I will definitely try that and see how it works. I thought about heating it up but wasn't sure of a good way to do it. The wood form is a great idea. Thanks!

It's been there for over ten years now I believe. No issues with static. I'm traveling for a family medical issue, so I unfortunately cannot help with a photo at the present time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    How well does that work on the lid Jim? Do you have any pictures of it? I would think with the static dust build up that it would be hard to see down far enough to see where the dust is.
    Not while the DC is running- the swirling air scours the dust from the plexi.

Awesome, I think that's the route I will go for right now and maybe try to add the light later. I am really good about checking my DC now as it sits in a different room currently anyways so I don't think I'll have an issue remembering to check it.

Thanks guys! Jim, hope all is well, stay safe on your trip.

I have my dc in another room. Bought the oneida sensor when it first came out, and it was not reliable. Tried to build Alan's sensor, but could not find a sensor without delay. So I cut a hole in the wall in front of the barrel, put a window in it, and now I just turn on a trouble light so it lights up the hose between cyclone and barrel. When the hose goes dark, it is full! Have to remember to look at it.

I used a translucent barrel with castors. Easy to see when it's getting full.

IMG_3998.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Holzke View Post
    I used a translucent barrel with castors. Easy to see when it's getting full.

IMG_3998.jpg
    That's a nice idea! Where did you find such a container? Is it strong? (My cyclone collapsed the first steel trashcan I tried to use as a collection drum.)

JKJ

I saw those, problem is I am so pushed for height that I could only use a 20 gallon container and I'm literally an inch from the ceiling in that room. The container I have is 21 inches tall and cannot go any higher and couldn't find one that size in translucent.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That's a nice idea! Where did you find such a container? Is it strong? (My cyclone collapsed the first steel trashcan I tried to use as a collection drum.)

JKJ
    It is very strong and will not collapse. Got it here and also got the dolly and it makes it easy to roll to the dumpster.

Harry

Where I worked these Roto-Bin-Dicators worked well in dusty conditions.
    They have a small motor and when the level stops the paddle from turning relay contacts change state. About as simple as ya can get.

http://bindicator.com/products/roto-bin-dicator-pro/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brightwell View Post
    Where I worked these Roto-Bin-Dicators worked well in dusty conditions.
    They have a small motor and when the level stops the paddle from turning relay contacts change state. About as simple as ya can get.

http://bindicator.com/products/roto-bin-dicator-pro/
    The main problem with the synchronous motor/stalled rotor style Bindicator® and the version originally sold by Oneida, wasn't that they didn't work, it was cost. I believe Oneida wanted around $250 several years ago for a unit that didn't include any alarm device and required another relay or circuitry to control such a device or a DC.

A quick look on eBay shows the Bindicator® as currently unavailable, except for used units listing for around $200 and one new unit for which the seller is asking over $1000.

Yes Alan, the electrical classification probably drives the cost way up.