Thread: maple dyed shellac need a top coat

maple dyed shellac need a top coat

I could use suggestions for a topcoat of this. I've made a small end table for my dad who since he has parkinsons he spills EVERYTHING. It's rock maple that has one coat of minwax on it then transtint dye mixed with dewaxed shellac. I really like the color and I need something durable for the finish do to his frequent spills. I'm thinking varnish but everyone says it doesn't adhere to shellac. So I'll take any suggestions I can get and yes next time I will research better before I get to this point thanks.

Almost everything sticks to dewaxed shellac. Sealcoat shellac is specifically marketed as being compatible with any topcoat. So, not to worry, any and all varnish will stick to it just fine. Varnish would also be a very good choice to resist spills, etc.

John

Just about anything - including but not limited to varnish - will stick to shellac. If in doubt, try on a test board.

​Thank you

Just coming back to this. I ended up putting two coats of Waterlox on and it looks great. I might sand back with 6-800 grit and put on another coat but it looks great. Thanks

If it looks great now, I'd stop. I've learned my lesson the hard way not to apply "just one more coat".

John

I squirt Target Coatings EM6000 over just about everything these days. I really like it, easy to use, dries quickly, sands butter smooth, cake cleanup with water.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.