Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else have this problem?

Same thing last night in Des Moines Iowa Century Link for ISP. Same link I have used for 3 years or more leads to wrong website. I have Norton's on 100% no hacks, and this morning 3-5-2017 all is fine?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Same problem all afternoon yesterday and just until now when its back to normal ??

Thought maybe Keith didn't pay his bills

I got Barry's screen on my PC last night. I ran a full virus & malware scan, nothing found.
    It's back to normal today.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Hacking! Delete the www and it seems to work.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I had the same issue and got re-directed to the image posted by the OP. It lasted from sometime yesterday afternoon until this morning. All is good now.

Edit: I just notice the other thread "sawmillcreek.org vs www.sawmillcreek.org". Keith mentioned that both links were working with Firefox. I am using Microsoft Edge which is the default browser that came with my system. I will try some of the other browsers if the same error ever occurs again.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Peterson; 03-05-2017 at 5:00 PM. Reason: clarification

I saw it last night, for at least an hour the site wasn't accessible. Today (so far) it is working fine.

As others have mentioned, this would almost surely NOT be caused on the users end. It would be an issue on the server, with the host, or with the DNS management.

Now it could theoretically result in a virus/malware on the users machine if the site it is forwarding to is being used for that purpose. But it would not be the original cause of this. So the site admins should definitely be looking into this.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Edit: I just notice the other thread "sawmillcreek.org vs www.sawmillcreek.org". Keith mentioned that both links were working with Firefox. I am using Microsoft Edge which is the default browser that came with my system. I will try some of the other browsers if the same error ever occurs again.
    It won't exactly solve the problem if it's at one or more DNS servers as suspected, but it will change how often it occurs and how long it lasts. The main difference between the MS browsers and Chrome/Firefox/etc are in their app-level cache: MS times out entries in 30 minutes (IIRC), the others use a much shorter interval, on the order of a minute or so. So IE/Edge will work longer if they have the "good" address and fail longer if they have the "bad" address.

And then of course you have the interaction between that value and the DNS server TTL values timing out, which is what actually fixes the problem by renewing the server entry from an upstream (presumably good) server. It's the kind of thing that gives "unpredictable" a bad name. Everything seems stable now...last time I saw the glitch was about 3PM PST yesterday.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Since it's Sunday, the tech sites are on skeleton crews but there were a few reports of one of the backbone DNS servers having a problem. Probably won't know for certain until tomorrow.

Me too. Off and on.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Just to clarify... I was having the problem with both IE and Firefox....

Happened to me a few times today. Last time was just a minute ago - 19:00 EST.

Blog Entries
    Same thing- happened first on one iPhone but not the other, then the other one started doing it. I deleted browser history and cookies and that didn't help. Now it is happening on the iPad. This appears to be an issue with the site being hijacked either at the host or through phpbb. I had my phpbb site get hacked once and it was a hack to the bulletin board through a back door in phpbb that was supposed to have been fixed long ago. This is not an individual issue- this is a host redirect.

Blog Entries
    Started again this morning. Clearing all cache and cookies did not resolve. checked my nearest DNS service to try to catch the issue but, this resolved correctly(?). Confused, I tried again and got to the right site. I'll try to catch it in the act next time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Aaron Koehl has been looking at this problem since yesterday. He hasn't reported back to me what he has found or if he has made any changes. Had our server been hacked he would have contacted me immediately with instructions or to disconnect the network connection if he felt it was necessary.

There isn't any personal information anywhere on our server other than Member names. Passwords are encrypted, I can't even view anyone's password. I can't even change my own password as all of the administrative accounts are protected by whatever system Aaron has implemented. Aaron assigns all administrative passwords and they are horrible, he takes every precaution possible and at times it drives me nuts but I know his system is tough for a good reason.

Physical access to our server is limited to just me, I have the only existing key to my shop and my office is upstairs. Anytime I leave my shop, even if I'm just in the yard cutting grass it is locked and our security system is activated. Its not just about protecting our network, I don't want any of the local neighborhood children to get into my shop for fear they would get hurt. The door between my shop and the upstairs office is also locked all of the time, in fact my shop access door and the door to the stairs are locked even when I"m working in the shop.

There isn't any financial information on our server, Paypal takes care of 98% of our online transactions, the rest are checks received via snail mail and I personally destroy every envelope in my burn barrel along with shipping labels and anything else that has a name or address on it.

vBulletin is the weakest link in our system, knowing that Aaron has made some changes to our server that I don't understand as I have zero expertise concerning how any of this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Physical access to our server is limited to just me, I have the only existing key to my shop and my office is upstairs. Anytime I leave my shop, even if I'm just in the yard cutting grass it is locked and our security system is activated. Its not just about protecting our network, I don't want any of the local neighborhood children to get into my shop for fear they would get hurt. The door between my shop and the upstairs office is also locked all of the time, in fact my shop access door and the door to the stairs are locked even when I"m working in the shop.
    Yeah but is the server protected against sawdust? Jus' askin'... ;-]

Thanks Keith for all the work you do for the 'creek.

This morning I found it impossible to navigate within the site until I deleted all the existing sawmillcreek cookies. Also after trying to log in I ended up at a redirect so it's possible my password got lifted then. It'll be changed as soon as I'm somewhat sure the redirect won't just snag a new password.

-Tom