Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAN HUSKY. Why bandsaws???

VAN HUSKY. Why bandsaws???

Van, I've kept up with your bandsaw purchases and knowledge. I used to not understand why someone would need more than 1. But after acquiring a rather nice bandsaw, (minimax) I am now obsessed with them, and find myself wanting another old iron monster. Possibly 20" or more. So please explain your bandsaw history, and why you like them so much. As I now do as well. Thanks for your time. Sam

Probably should have PM'd him...
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

He will read it. It's a bandsaw thread. It's his forte.

The first rule of Van Huskey is, "Don't talk about Van Huskey".

Erik

I can't speak for Van, but my initial thought is........why not

JeffD

He will sense a disturbance in the bandsaw force and will be along shortly.

Why? I don't know it is kinda hard to explain but it has to do with the fact that they are sorta like dogs. Each has its own personality, not just every make and model but each individual saw but when you get to know them they become like an old pal. When you first adopt them they can be kind of angry and/or scared but with a little love they begin to open up and do what you ask of them. They are also quite versatile and make the best case to have multiples in the shop. I guess I just like the fact they are so simple but yet confound when it comes to setting them up.

It started in my uncles wood shop as a kid where he had two bandsaws and used them a lot. Then in grad school (now 26 years ago) I wanted (needed) to build furniture so I bought a Craftsman RAS and Delta 14" bandsaw from the classifieds (old timey Craigslist for the young guys). As the years went by and I built shop after shop I always bought bandsaws and would use them until I found something better and kept trying new used ones. At a couple of points I tried to just use one bandsaw but I was never able to convince myself to stay with just one. My only regret is I have never lived in anywhere that allowed me to have the big old iron since I always had to have a "normal" garage door not a 12' rollup etc. However, the next shop I build I think I am going to be able to get a 30" in but we shall see.

BTW there are others here that have the affliction worse than I do, some I have spoken to and others I have seen it in person, they just choose to keep their malady less public.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If everyone's invited to chime in, here's my .02 fwiw.

For me it comes down to better control of material of the material.
    Rarely do I start a project out with 4/4 wood that I have to sift through to match grain or tone. I'll start with 12/4 or thicker rough-sawn and make my own stock.
    I can control the tone and the grain orientation much better, from one single piece of material.
    Unfortunately, I also suffer from ceilings that are too low in my shop and I am limited in the size of a band saw I can get in there due to height. I might one day box in the ceiling so I can push a bigger band saw in there.
    I have two table saws in my shop that would go before my band saws. I can perform any function done on a table saw, with other tools and machines I have. Albeit, slower, but it can be done. There are some functions that a band saw performs that just cannot be easily replicated, efficiently.
    Without a good working bandsaw in a shop, my personal opinion is that the person is limiting them self.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-05-2017 at 9:11 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Good replies. I used to fear the bandsaw. When I was in wood shop in 8th grade. I seen a friend cut his finger off using an old delta bandsaw. Even when I started using a bandsaw for bowl blanks, I was using a horrible bandsaw (which I will not name) and that saw would bind up and throw the log around. Maybe my mistake, not sure. But this new saw is such a pleasure to use. I can do delicate cuts, or rip through a 10-12 log like nothing. When I first started laying out my shop, I thought I wouldn't even need a bandsaw, now it's one of the most used tools I have. Behind my lathe and table saw.

Can't have a bandsaws and dogs in a thread without some piccys ...
    An unwritten rule ya know !
    Thanks Van and Eric for sharing your knowledge, and ever perusing more facts and stuff.
    Tom
    Dawgs and saws.jpg

When it comes to old iron saws, the 30" is the most versatile size. Fits under an 8' ceiling- barely, table is decent size, 30x30, resaw is 14-15". Condition is most important but all things equal Yates might be the best although splitting hairs. Oliver 217, Tannewitz PH, Northfield 27 or 32", Fay and Egan, Moak. There are a bunch. My affliction is old sliding table saws but have two bandsaws set up all the time, one with 1/4" bimetal and larger with 1" Trimaster. I always make my own veneer when using plywood for show and the small Yates mainly for scroll or tenon work. I have a 36" in the other shop but the other two handle 95% of everything I need.DSC04311.jpgDSC04310.jpg The 20" old iron saws were not really resaw machines. The MM 20" would handle that better. The 30" will do everything. Dave

Tom, for shame. You left your plane sitting on it's sole? I'm guessing that you will catch some grief over that one. By the way, nice puppies.

Wow. Awesome looking bandsaws. That Oliver just has that look to it. I would love to get an old monster some day. Let's see more pics.

If you go over to owwm.org or canadianwoodworking.com you will find lots of examples. Dave

32" Crescent. Babbit bearings 1898 casting datecrescent bandsaw.jpg