Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves to aid with grip of hand tools

Gloves to aid with grip of hand tools

My thumbs are about done. I need to grip with the meat of my thumbs (Palm). I have tried a few gloves but most have grip on the fingers and not the palm. I was hoping that some of you may have found something.
    Jim

Which hand tools? Have you tried kt tape? On your hands or on the tool handles.

Big box stores have a glove that's cotton with blue "rubber" throughout the palm and fingers. Works well for me when I need some extra grip:

IMG_0423.jpg

For many years I have used friction tape on hammer and mallet handles so I could use a very loose grip without risk of the hammer flying away. The benefit I sought was reduced shock and I am pleased, however it's friction tape and unsightly. The eyes might suffer but joy to joints and tendons.

James, have you tried the blue nitrile gloves? They grip very well, are durable, and thin enough to offer good feedback.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use blue nitrile gloves frequently at work and can't stand them. They don't breathe so my hands sweat and get clammy. In my garage where its cold in the winter my hands would freeze quickly. I have a pair of the rubber coated cloth gloves like above. They are coated only for grip so my hands breathe and stay comfortable. They are not bulky. I got them either at the HD or Oreilly auto parts.

Here are some photos. I have to keep the thumb aligned to last very long. To oppose the thumb last about 1 minute. I tried tape for a while it helped. I have tried different gloves like the rubber coated ones. The best I found so far was some dotted "Snap On" ones that were ok but the dots got hardened fairly quickly and stopped working. I tried some surgical gloves, to slick. I haven't tried the blue nitriles but will give them a try. I do not advocate my chisel grip to anyone, one errant blow will get your attention. DAMHIK.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You might take a look at bicycling or golf gloves.

I haven't used either for years. Many years ago my bicycling gloves had padded palms and the tips of the fingers were open.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You might take a look at bicycling or golf gloves.

I haven't used either for years. Many years ago my bicycling gloves had padded palms and the tips of the fingers were open.

jtk
    Thanks Jim, Not being a golfer or cyclist I never thought of those gloves. I did try some golf club tape at one point. I got blisters from it. I don't think it is made for a verticle impact like chiseling.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Similar to golf gloves are sailing gloves, available with half fingers, which may be more comfortable in the heat. Also, I use 3M Cohesive wraps when I need to protect finger tips without losing grip, and without the sticky mess of tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Q...+wrap+bandages

Try Maxiflex Endurance 33-844. They are breathable nitrile with a dimpled palm and fabric back. These are the best gloves I've found for carpentry and woodworking.

Thanks to everyone. I was sure I would get some suggestions. There are just too many options out there. It's a somewhat small thing, gloves, but it is keeping me from doing projects at the moment. I have some things to try from people who are doing the same kinds of things.
    Jim

Showa Atlas 370 Nitrile. They fit perfect, and protect very well, but are very thin, so you can manipulate screws, pick small stuff up etc. I used to be in an industry that required 'testing' a lot of gloves (landscape construction). The backs are like thicker nylons, so your hands breathe. I buy mine by the dozen from palmflex.com . They basically last until the backs get too many holes from snags. The last dozen has lasted me 4 years and I use them for everything.

I challenge anyone to try them and find them anything but superior.

Depending on the tool, try filing the round handles on hammers, mallets, chisels and coping saws into a octagon shape.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

100% agree with this. These gloves have a lot of grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Magnuson View Post
    Showa Atlas 370 Nitrile. They fit perfect, and protect very well, but are very thin, so you can manipulate screws, pick small stuff up etc. I used to be in an industry that required 'testing' a lot of gloves (landscape construction). The backs are like thicker nylons, so your hands breathe. I buy mine by the dozen from palmflex.com . They basically last until the backs get too many holes from snags. The last dozen has lasted me 4 years and I use them for everything.

I challenge anyone to try them and find them anything but superior.