Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gloves to aid with grip of hand tools

James, after viewing your photos of your grip on various tools, I believe you have problems that can increase. I have tried your grips, found them painful and out of alignment and have concluded that you either have a problem that needs treatment from a doctor and/or a physical therapist or that your bench maybe far to high and that will throw off the whole man to tool relationship. In the course of a 45 year career, I have had to stop work, seek treatment, re-evaluate and make corrections a number of times to stop accumulated injury.

Sorry, I had to say this, I know that this is unwelcomed. Please take care

Roger,

I feel James pain and have had hand problems. My wrist joints were worn out and it was painful to work in my shop. I found an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hand and wrists. Eventually, I had surgery on both wrists and I am mostly pain free in my hands.

My advice is to find a good doctor and find out what is wrong and what could be done to help. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    James, after viewing your photos of your grip on various tools, I believe you have problems that can increase. I have tried your grips, found them painful and out of alignment and have concluded that you either have a problem that needs treatment from a doctor and/or a physical therapist or that your bench maybe far to high and that will throw off the whole man to tool relationship. In the course of a 45 year career, I have had to stop work, seek treatment, re-evaluate and make corrections a number of times to stop accumulated injury.

Sorry, I had to say this, I know that this is unwelcomed. Please take care

Roger,
    Thanks Roger, I have what I consider to be "my team" of doctors. They have kept me going so far. We have talked about this issue. The bench height is not a problem. The picture is of my carvers vise clamped in a face vise. My bench is a Noden adjust a bench that I had set up for me by Mr Noden (nice man) a couple of years back. Your advice is sound and I appreciate it.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I feel James pain and have had hand problems. My wrist joints were worn out and it was painful to work in my shop. I found an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hand and wrists. Eventually, I had surgery on both wrists and I am mostly pain free in my hands.

My advice is to find a good doctor and find out what is wrong and what could be done to help. Good Luck
    Thanks Larry. Good advice. See my reply to Roger. We are working on it.
    Jim

Im not much a Harbor Freight fan but they do have a exceptional value on the rubber palmed gloves mentioned in this thread.

They offer a light glove but sturdy and last as well as any other rubber palmed glove i have purchased to date including those purchased at masonry supply stores for stone and brick masons. They also offer a thicker rubber palmed glove.

Both are $1.99 a pair.

I purchase 20 pairs at a time i keep ten pair in my workshop and ten pair in my truck.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-06-2017 at 8:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Thanks Roger, I have what I consider to be "my team" of doctors. They have kept me going so far. We have talked about this issue. The bench height is not a problem. The picture is of my carvers vise clamped in a face vise. My bench is a Noden adjust a bench that I had set up for me by Mr Noden (nice man) a couple of years back. Your advice is sound and I appreciate it.
    Jim
    You are fortunate. All my doctors have told me there is nothing to be done for my hand and shoulder. The hand was injured about 60 years ago and the shoulder about 45 years ago.

Working around the pain is about the only way for me to get anything done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You are fortunate. All my doctors have told me there is nothing to be done for my hand and shoulder. The hand was injured about 60 years ago and the shoulder about 45 years ago.

Working around the pain is about the only way for me to get anything done.

jtk
    I am fortunate. Your right about working around the pain. That's what I'm doing here with the glove thing. Surgical correction is a non starter. They'd have to start at the spine and work outwards. I already have an electronic device implanted on the spine that really helps a lot. The rest is just things like gloves and work holding jigs and such to help with positioning to keep from binding up my "rusted up" body parts.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Sometimes the sounds from my joints is worse than the actual discomfort. Not always, I was trying to lift a downed part of a tree a few days ago and my shoulder made a nasty sound. Think of the sound a turkey leg makes when it is being pulled from the bird. My shoulder sounded a few times louder than that. The pain, above the daily normal, only lasted for a few days.

My hand is a different story. It was cut open in a fall into a creek bed. It still has particles of sand and other muck in the joint. It is often easier for me to do a monkey grip on things.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As an alternative to gloves, would a few turns of friction tape around the individual tool handles be helpful?

Just throwing this out there as I have no real experience with it. But maybe try cork or surf grip tape like used on fishing rods.
    I imagine the cork would absorb sweat ano shock well, while providing cushion.
    Just not sure how well it'd hold up to being pounded on.