Thread: Table Saw Help

Question Table Saw Help

Just joined forum and been lurking and researching table saws. Presently have a Porter Cable portable that folds on wheels but want one better and more precise. Your forum was recommended and seems very active.

i have read more reviews than necessary probably and just an occasional weekend user of saw.

I want to keep budget down but want something good and also looked at Craigslist, etc.

i am leaning to Delta at lowes for 599, Rigid 4512 for 539 HD, but reviews mixed and then saw information about Grizzly go771z and go715p, and they are about 900. Scared some by maybe quality issues and delivery at Grizzly. Then saw information about shopfox around 1200. I am not sure I need to put 1,000 into saw? Need thoughts about these?

Thanks so much, I am sure this has been covered but could not find and wanted feedback from the knowledgeable people on this forum.

FWIW Shop Fox is pretty much the same as Grizzly just painted a different color. Almost all the Shop Fox tools have a "close to the same" Grizzly version. Sometimes they are worth the extra money, most of the time they are not from what I have seen.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

For me this would be an easy choice. I would buy an old Unisaw, PM-66, or similar cabinet saw. You can find them around where I live for less than $700, often much less, and even after adding an upgraded fence you are all in for less than $1000. Those saws are much higher quality than any of the ones you are considering, yet may not cost any more than the two Grizzlies. The saws I mentioned will last a lifetime, and should you decide to upgrade down the road you could sell them for nearly what you paid. That won't be the case with any new saw.

John

+1 on what John said. I have an old PM66 and love it.

If you live anywhere close to me, you may wait 5 years to find a PM66 or Unisaw that is fit to own for less than the new price of other brands. For the most part, I gave up on used stationary tools a long time ago because they just aren't available within reasonable driving distance. By all means, check it out but whether that is a practical option depends on where you live.

Grizzly is a direct importer, meaning there's no retail middleman, and they ship the vast majority of their tools... and they sell a lot of them, so you're simply more likely to hear about any shipping issues than with a brand you pick up from a retailer. That'd be a non-issue in my book, and I'd be far more comfortable buying from Grizzly than Delta or Ridgid right now. Grizzly is a pretty reputable company, and always took care of any legitimate problems AFAIK.

The G0715P had some alignment issues that were similar to those the R4512 and nearly identical Cman 21833 suffered (they all shared a similar trunnion system)... some of the earlier versions had alignment issues when the blade height was changed due a design defect. Those have supposedly been fixed on all those models, and haven't read of an issue on one in quite a while. The R4512 and 36-725 still only offer basic stamped steel wings, 13 amp motors, and a marginal fence in the case of the R4512. The G0715P at least offers full enclosure, solid cast iron wings, 16 mp motor and a great fence.

The G0771Z is relatively new a bit over a year ago (maybe longer). The first version didn't have a particularly good fence, but the "Z" version has an upgraded fence. Otherwise, I've not heard about any systemic issues. It offers a full enclosure, solid cast iron wings, good fence, 15 amp motor and cabinet mounted trunnions, so while it's more expensive than the 36-725 or R4512, it also offers more of the good stuff.

I'm reading of more and more issues of things breaking and just not functioning correctly on the Delta over time. Add to that reports of poor customer service and parts availability. Early on it was looking like a good value. Now I'm not convinced, and am hesitant to recomment it. It's getting hard to recommend of the new $600 stationary saws.

If it was my money wanted a new saw that would run on 120v, I'd be leaning toward the G0771Z. I'd also be scouring CL for a good used saw. If you have 220v, I'd give serious consideration of saving a bit more and getting something like the Grizzly G1023RL industrial cabinet saw....more money for sure, but is a heck of a saw for that price. You could also always take a shot at an R4512, 21833, or Delta, and just return it if there's an issue.

If you post your general geographic location in your profile, someone here may have insights on a good used saw in your area.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-05-2017 at 6:21 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks all. Scott I updated profile and live in Cypress, Texas. They have the go771z on sale so I was kind of leaning that way but saw posts of delivery issues and some said table not flat.

If you do go for a Grizzly, make sure it's in stock before you order. Some have waited quite a while for one that wasn't.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It must depend upon where you are in the South. It can't be Florida, because used machines there are plentiful and cheap. A local NY guy used to go there and buy used equipment and bring it back to sell it here. The fact that he was competitive to local used machines suggests he was buying them very cheaply.

John