Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felder AD951 J/P, Thoughts from users

Blog Entries

Felder AD951 J/P, Thoughts from users

Curious to hear from people who own or otherwise use this machine.

Do you like the function of the integral guard?

Do you like the build quality of the machine?

Four blade or 'silent cutter'?

Any nit picks?

Would you buy again?

Am I missing something or does SCM also have a 20" wide (520mm) J/P?

Thank you
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 03-05-2017 at 3:33 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    ...does SCM also have a 20" wide (520mm) J/P?...
    Closest, apples-to-apples, would be the Minimax FS52 Elite-S, which is available with Tersa or with Xylent (their proprietary spiral head)...

https://www.scmgroup.com/en/products...52-elite-s.777

Best of luck in your search.

Erik

I have the AD 741, which is pretty similar to the 951, and a very good machine. You can read my review of it here.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eric, glad to know that I am not loosing my mind. My preference is for SCM but I do like the looks of the fence on Felder, it seems to bridge gap between something like what Martin offers and the more typical Euro guard which requires setting the height.

I have the 941. 16" verison of the 951.

I like the guard/fence on the machine quite a bit. I also love the silent cutter. Machine buid quality is adequate but not overbuilt. I have been running my machine anyhere from 2-5 hours a day 2-4 hours at a time and i find myself thinking man if i keep getting this type of work requiring this much use of this machine or more when will the machine fail me. It just does not seem robust enough to handle hours upon hours of use day after day for years on end. It does seem built well enough to handle many years moderate hobby use.

If i had it to do again i would go separates regardless of my limited space. I would then be looking at accpeting spending $15-25K per machine as apposed to the $11-13 of the Felder combos. I would also be looking at either Martin L Invincible or Martin. I may consider the Martin combo made my Griggrio i think?

The Minimax elite S combo looks nice. I have just heard horror stories about small shops and scm. If you use your machine and i know you will you will need parts or service at some point. I have had my own nightmares with Felder. Many seem happy with them but in my experiece they pay good lip service if its a easy fix or solution. If its a big problem they try and pass the buck. Start digging and you will find the horror stories of out of flat Felder tables and terrible service techs.

You will also find many fans of Felder. Ultimately you kinda have to sort through the best of the worst and make your own decision as machinery manufactuers seem like they run a real rackey if you ask me. Its kinda like buying a car that's a lemmon. You had better hope you purchased from a good dealer as you are never getting to GMC yourself.

If my choice is between My experience with felder and SCMI i have to choose SCMI as fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. SCMI would also feel like a gamble. The pipe dream is open the wallet for a Martin and they take good care of their clients. For all i know its nothing more than a pipe dream. If not i would pay the big ticket price for piece of mind anyday after my experience with Felder.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrick, appreciate your response. I've been leaning toward heavier and better built machines going with that same logic. That said, I've seen true hobby-shop level machines which are worked, and I mean worked!

SCM it is then, I'll guide my thinking in that direction. I'd certainly love Martin machines, but I if I start planning on buying them it will put my time frame pretty far out there, something I'd like not to do if I can avoid it, also they're 3 phase and to my understanding cannot be ordered in single phase, so I would also need a serious phase converter (phase perfect)....this all starts to become a bit heavy duty for a garage shop.

I'd prefer separates to a single machine as well, but I can't justify the added expense. Separates have so many nice advantages, but at nearly twice the price... Love to have a jointer with 10' long tables, like that of the L'invincible.

Brian,

It sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up. Or rather i should say you have identified your criteria and made your decisions accordingly. Understandably so as few of us can just have whatever we want.

Your criteria is much as mine was when i was purchasing my combo or AD941. At the time i was pretty taken by felder machines under the impression that a high end Felder machine was pretty much a comercial i dustrial machine. With that assumption my next criteria was overall cost and three phase vrs single factored into the total cost to get up amd running. I was looking at another $5K with my then electrical service to get up and running with a three phase machine.

As it sounds it is for you it was also for me in that the more i spent the longer i waited as i was insistant I would pay for the machine in full at the time of purchase.

So to summerise i did not want to go three phase and i did not want to wait another eight months while i saved another 12K. I was also pretty convinced Felder played in the same pond as SCMI Martin and all the other commercial machinery manufactuers. I now understand Felder is high end hobby equipment.

I want to make clear you may very well enjoy a AD951 if all goes well. If you feel compfortable tweeking and adjusting the machine yourself upon arrival you may be ok. If the machine shows up as can be common with Felder machines "bad Castings" you may find yourself in for the fight of your lifetime. On the other hand this same senerio could be had with any manufacturer i just happen to know that Felder puts on a good show with regard to fixing costly problems. On the flip side if its something they can throw short money at and have a happy customer they seem more motivated then most.

The last thing i will offer is this. After my ordeal with Felder 4/-5 months till it all got worked out. I still have a machine with hollows and rounds and a cross threaded stripped bolt on one of my priszm guides. At the time and still now i would had done anything to have just waited another eight months till i could afford a machine that potentialy did not come with such problems. For instance at the time i was under the impression with the purchase of a new Martin machine came the setup of the machine by a Martin employee or dealer tech. This seemed of immense value to me as how could they possibly leave me with a lemmon. On the other hand if Martin or any companies factory tollerance specs are anything like Fleder you could also be screwed in the end so you know the whole machine purchase thing can be like christmas morning or like the worst freaking nightmare you could ever imagine.

I will point out at the time of my purchase all i had was a Dewalt lunchbox planer and a 6" Yates jointer and i was going out of my mind. I was also not at the time using my machines for work purposes. My point is i could had waited an additional time to save for higher quality machine but was both convinced Felder made a exceptional machine and sadly on my prt impatient thinking i had to have the machines asap.

Now you on the other hand i believe do what you do for a living and to do seem fully capable of doing it without a jointer or planer. I would say if you made it this long the way you have save for another bit of time for the Phase Perfect, make that the goal. Get it setup payed for then move on to the machine purchase, i wish i had! For instance at the time i was convineced this would be the largest machine to ever enter my shop. Now three years later i am looking at adding a Martin slidding table saw and martin shaper to my shop both of wich are three phase only. Even the high end Felder Format stuff is all three phase. The maybe even a widebelt?

Anyway rant over but i really cant stress enough my belief that if you are a woodworker and not hobbyiest "and you are a woodworker" get as much machine as you can squeez out of yourself.

And just to be clear when impurchased my AD941 i also purchased a RL125. I spend almost 20K. That is a huge lump of money to me as i am a carpenter afterall. At the time i think i was making $57K a year. I still am for the most part. So i get the implications of talking SCMI Invincible this and Martin that. At the end of the day though regret is a sob..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-06-2017 at 8:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    My mind is not made up by any means, but yes I do have criteria. I fear that my own line of logic, which is basically to buy the best and not settle, may be a disservice in this scenario where I have very limited space so I am weighing all reasonable options.

I do appreciate your inputs, they are quite valuable in that you would like to save me some grief. I've had a great experience with SCM minimax so far, so I am highly considering their machines, and given your experience in no longer considering Felder.

If I considered jointer alone, as it us the more important of the two machines for me, A Martin T54 and phase perfect will set me back about 27-30k, so double to nearly triple depending on the SCM I end up considering and it looks like L'Invincible does have the better guard system and is still 5k less than Martin..., and then I need to buy a planer after, which I'm certain will incur similar logic and cost me )10k~.

So at the end of it all I will still need to explain to my wife why this whole venture cost me $40-50k when it should have been in the range of 15-20k.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 03-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.

or buy a used jointer for 4-5K and use the savings for the Phase Perfect. Dave

Yup,

Those are the exact same numbers i was playing with and exactly the logic i was using. And exactly how i came to my decision.

Sadly for me my personal expectation of perfection will now roll over into future machine purchases due to my first big machinery buying experience with Felder.

Had all gone well with felder in all honesty i would probably be happy to the adhear to the theory or principle that like you my personal desire for perfection might not be best realised in my machinery purchases.

I will say this, had my machine arrived and needed a simple $500 tech visit to adjust eand get working properly i would had been very very satisfied with my machine.

If Felder did a better job with their castings, did not deliver machines with loose, missing or cross threaded parts and had service techs as competent as their CEO "who is a gem" other than not just dragging the lemmon they sold me out of my shop after resolve could not brought to the issue after and the third service visit and maybe 25-30 hrs i think felder would have a great product to meet the market that both you and i fall into. With the above sexperience stated you kinda are left feeling like i could have just purchased a Jet or Grizzly and maybe done just as well or better?

I would not rule Felder out as what i am trying to say is i rather like my Felder machines, i have four. I would like my combo machine much more if it had flat tables and did not have that cross threaded bolt. All in all it works decently well and i suppose could be worse. At least i can use the darn thing eb
    ven if it is picky as to what part of the tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    My mind is not made up by any means, but yes I do have criteria. I fear that my own line of logic, which is basically to buy the best and not settle, may be a disservice in this scenario where I have very limited space so I am weighing all reasonable options.

I do appreciate your inputs, they are quite valuable in that you would like to save me some grief. I've had a great experience with SCM minimax so far, so I am highly considering their machines, and given your experience in no longer considering Felder.

If I considered jointer alone, as it us the more important of the two machines for me, A Martin T54 and phase perfect will set me back about 27-30k, so double to nearly triple depending on the SCM I end up considering and it looks like L'Invincible does have the better guard system and is still 5k less than Martin..., and then I need to buy a planer after, which I'm certain will incur similar logic and cost me )10k~.

So at the end of it all I will still need to explain to my wife why this whole venture cost me $40-50k when it should have been in the range of 15-20k.

I wasn't going to comment.I can no longer bite my tongue I've seen Brian's work and I just think a helical head is wrong for a jointer.The carbide insert are not even close to sharp as good Hss steel.
    Unless you plan on using wood with knots highly figured reversing grain.Or barn wood with plenty of grit Hss knives that are indexed are pro.Plus you will have several choices of steel to choose from.
    I know you like sharp
    you can do very fine work with small parts on a straight knife with good steel knives all in the same cutting circle.Its just wonderful.
    Aj

This is a vaiable option. I dont know where i was looking but i noticed. Near new if not new SCMI L Invinible Jointer somewhere recently for like $7-9K. As a result of my experience with my AD941 i am always suspect of a good deal on a jointer. On the other hand i have seena number of very high end machines both jointers and planer selling us d and in excelent condition that i could had purchased and done the phase perfect and seprates and been out the door for between $20-25K yes that was $5-10K above my budget at the time but a far cry form the new Marting phase perfect option of $50-60K.

Dave brings up a good point and iwould also suggest putting as much effort into finding dealers of high end used equiptment as you are into what new Equipmentment you would like.

I bet you can get the Scmi martin equivalent in seperates lightly used and the phase perfect for maybe $5k more than a new Felder or Scmi hobby type machine. You should talk to the guy whom blog i metioned and you said you know from western Mass, seems he knows his machines.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    or buy a used jointer for 4-5K and use the savings for the Phase Perfect. Dave

I'd add that a used Oliver like Darcy just posted, or Porter, or Northfield, if condition is good, is every bit as good as a newer Euro jointer save Martin- maybe even Martin. A used Kolle is every bit as sweet as a Martin. Jointers are simple. It is all about the quality of the cast iron, the balance and diameter of the head, and the grinding ( preferably planing ) of the bed. There are machines where new is better but jointers are not among them. Dave

And the old jointers will make a much deeper cut, in many cases 1 inch compared to 3/8 for the new stuff.