Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

06 Mar 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    I figured that I post before I start my next oncall week. No real woodworking this weekend but I did cook for the LOML, the MIL, friends that came over, and the LOML Jr and her hubby. This week, I prepared Zuppa Toscana and Rustic Crusty Bread. My first attempt at making bread but it turned out really well. Everyone said that both items were a "do again", so I'm adding it to my list of things that are "do again" recipes.

Woodworking wise, I have a few things coming down the pipe but still on hold for the moment. Still working out at the local gym each week and the LOML is still attending and working out with me.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

An interesting weekend...was out of town in North Carolina with my folks, but a couple of good things happened.

My daughter Joanna went with me to north Carolina to see my folks. Since I am on a woodwork high, I decided to drop by Asheville hardware with Mom, Dad, and Joanna. Joanna found a small slab she wants to build into a desk. She is graduating college in a few weeks and moving back home to pay off some college debt and save some money for an apartment.

She suggested the slab as a father/daughter woodworking project, and would like to make it into a desk. The slab a a nice piece of Ash...

The Teco FM 50 came, so i can hopefully fire up the Unisaw this week and get it tuned up.

Going to possibly go look at a nice used Delta 1950's era drill press and a nice 1950's era Planer this week.

I made a tow bar and wheel assembly for my oldest brother's new band saw, and delivered the saw last weekend.

Here's a photo of the happy owner with the new saw, note the fabulous pink handlebar streamers on the tow bar.................Rod.

With the new owner..jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I made a tow bar and wheel assembly for my oldest brother's new band saw, and delivered the saw last weekend.

Here's a photo of the happy owner with the new saw, note the fabulous pink handlebar streamers on the tow bar.................Rod.

With the new owner..jpg
    Quite appropriate given the amount of band saw discussion we have had recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Quite appropriate given the amount of band saw discussion we have had recently.
    The streamers are a great touch. Style is everything

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    The streamers are a great touch. Style is everything
    Maybe playing cars in the band saw wheels like we used to do with bikes as kids, make the retro picture complete....

I had a somewhat productive weekend in the shop... even with fighting a cold
    Stained and first coat of varathane on drill press mobile base
    Finished construction, calibration and one coat of varathane (think I am going to do another 1 or 2) on my first ever table saw sled.... calibration using 5 cut method gave me some grief as I was going backwards/all over on which way to move back fence depending on the difference in front to back measurement..... but after what felt like a million times I am less than 1/1000" on 16".... I think/hope
    Finished up the assembly of a friends front three speakers for his home theater, they are going to pound

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Rosypal View Post
    I had a somewhat productive weekend in the shop... even with fighting a cold
    Stained and first coat of varathane on drill press mobile base
    Finished construction, calibration and one coat of varathane (think I am going to do another 1 or 2) on my first ever table saw sled.... calibration using 5 cut method gave me some grief as I was going backwards/all over on which way to move back fence depending on the difference in front to back measurement..... but after what felt like a million times I am less than 1/1000" on 16".... I think/hope
    Finished up the assembly of a friends front three speakers for his home theater, they are going to pound
    Congrats on progress, time spent on shop projects often feels like lost time but invariably speeds up productivity.

Congrats on progress, time spent on shop projects often feels like lost time but invariably speeds up productivity.
    Thanks Chris
    Yes it does feel like lost time but I am also using these shop projects to hopefully hone some skills and hey I like building stuff so its all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Rosypal View Post
    Thanks Chris
    Yes it does feel like lost time but I am also using these shop projects to hopefully hone some skills and hey I like building stuff so its all good.
    It beats the living daylights out of sitting around watching televison, talking politics, or weeding the flower beds in front of my house.

Also, agreed on learning things, I learn every time I build something.

For the first time in many months we were able to get both cars in the garage. Okay, one at a time, let's not get crazy, but still they fit. Everything is finally organized and put away in at least a temporary spot. Now it's time to blow it all apart again to get some work done.

12. On Saturday, I managed to get the last bit of asphalt composition roofing scraped off what the roof structure of what will become my new shop. The roof tear-off was made difficult because the plywood sheathing originally used was undersized (3/8" thick) and had suffered severe rot. I stepped through it in one spot on accident...

I took this picture after replacing one of the sheets with a new sheet of 1/2" CDX. The other three sheets were also replaced after the photo.

2017-03-04 08.52.36.jpg

Once that was done, I took advantage of the clear weather to get the framing done for the 5x12 bump-out addition I'm doing.

I got the foundation blocks set and the rim joists installed:
    2017-03-04 15.55.32.jpg

Got the rest of the joists in before it got too dark:
    2017-03-04 18.12.46.jpg

Sunday morning, got started early. First sheet of subfloor on:
    2017-03-05 10.31.56.jpg

And by 3:30pm on Sunday afternoon I was already worn out, but I got as far as getting one wall up:
    2017-03-05 13.33.43.jpg
    2017-03-05 14.20.15.jpg
    Last edited by William Shelley; 03-06-2017 at 2:38 PM.

It beats the living daylights out of sitting around watching televison, talking politics, or weeding the flower beds in front of my house.

Also, agreed on learning things, I learn every time I build something.
    Very true.... but I am learning what not to do

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lesher View Post
    For the first time in many months we were able to get both cars in the garage. Okay, one at a time, let's not get crazy, but still they fit. Everything is finally organized and put away in at least a temporary spot. Now it's time to blow it all apart again to get some work done.

It ahs been a decade since a car has been in my garage, actually.

Dennis, the photos of that soup and bread looked outstanding and your "audience" felt it tasted that way, too. Bravo!

No woodworking or anything else "manual" this weekend. Saturday, I had to take care of a bunch of "beginning of the month" administrative things at home as I had to drive back to central Florida on Sunday/Monday to deal with further care issues with my elderly parents. The amount of yard work and "tree cleanup" is piling up, so when I do get back, it's unlikely I'll get much shop time for awhile on the weekends. Such is life...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...