Thread: Pencil Barrel Pot

Pencil Barrel Pot

Wife showed me a youtube video making a Pencil Barrel Pot that was really neat and would make a good present for DIL who is a teacher. The video is made in England and he fills a mold with short pieces of pencils the type with different colors. Then he pours in what he calls "resin" that is clear and hardens overnight. The resin also glues to round wooden blanks on top and bottom of the mold. I would like to try this but have looked for "clear resin" on several web sites and haven't found anything. Can anyone give me a clue to obtain this "resin?" Thanks, Jim.

Saw the same video and it looks like a product called 'liquid glass', not 100% sure but that's what it appears to be.

I've done two with System 3 resin and it worked very well. it's pricey, though. I used Bondo resin for one, but it's a dark colour, not clear.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I too saw the video and it looks cool. I liked the finish results of that piece. I hope someone can help you out because I would be interested also in making one.

Red
    RED

There are a couple of different resins you could use. One is epoxy resin and I know a bunch of people use it for casting pen blanks and such. Another is polyester resin. You can buy it at Micheal's or Hobby Lobby under the Castin' Craft brand (make sure you use a coupon). Most people use it along with a pressure pot but it's not always necessary. Polyester resin (PR) can also be bought from other places under the Silmar 41 resin. I've used PR for making pen blanks, wine stoppers, etc and it does stink so be sure to use it in your garage or detached shop. If you use it inside your house the smell with go throughout your house.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Doug W Swanson; 03-06-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

That video spawned requests for a similar piece from friends and family...thinking about picking up some Alumalite and a pressure pot and giving it a try. From my research thus far the polyester resin is least $$$ but creates really bad fumes

+1For Alumilite, virtually no odor plus it has a better affinity to wood. PR shrinks more than Alumilite and will tend to pull away from the wood especially in large castings. It does well for pens but is very smelly. Alumilite actually combines with wood at the cellular level, at least that's my understanding. I have cast large "worthless wood " vases using Alumilite with very good success. However, UMMV.

Search "epoxy resin". You'll find what you're looking for.