Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a really good, really accurate flush cut saw?

What's a really good, really accurate flush cut saw?

I've got a Mahogany desk I'm doing for a customer, and I've got to replace all of the knobs. Problem is, these are glued on, so I need to flush saw them off. I've got a cheap $10 flush cut saw but this requires extreme accuracy, because I can't afford to damage the face veneer.

Anything you all recommend?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Cut them high and use a sharp chisel or plane to knock down the stub.

CS recommends using a business card thickness material between the saw and the workpiece to protect it from an errant saw stroke. Then plane or pair flush.

Blog Entries
    Stone the back of the saw to ensure it's actually flush, and then use blue tape to protect the piece. Finish with a chisel or plane. I have a cheap one made by Crown, and it works just fine.

"Extreme accuracy" and "flush cut saw" do not fit together. Ever! As almost every one has said, use protection or regret it! Stoning the side of the teeth helps some saws, as Malcolm said.

And watch out: if you start to cut into the tape/card stock/etc., stop immediately and double the protective layer before trying to go farther. And in that case, it's best to restart the cut from a new point so the old kerf doesn't drag your saw down into the protection again.
    Last edited by James Waldron; 03-06-2017 at 1:31 PM. Reason: complete the thought
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

+1 on Will's advice.

You can also use a router plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Cut them high and use a sharp chisel or plane to knock down the stub.

Alrighty then! Sounds like the consensus has been arrived upon!

Thank you all for the input.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post

As with other aspects of life, always use protection.

I have thin pieces of wood around the shop with holes in them for this kind of work whether with a saw or a chisel. Often they get tossed in the scrap pile and burned. It is easy to make a new one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post

I do the cut slightly proud and then block plane or pare with chisel route also. Specifically, the way to cut with the saw is to use a Japanese flush cut saw with teeth on only one side of the blade. Even an inexpensive one like a Shark saw will do. Start with the back side (untoothed) of the blade lightly touching the work and the teeth up a bit on the part being cut. Get started. Once started, lift the handle and also use a slight twist of the wrist to ensure that the back (untoothed side of the blade) is the only contact with the work while the teeth will tend to cut away from the work and have no chance of scraping it. As you get better, you can reduce the amount of remainder left above the surface you don't want to mar.

A low angle, bevel up, Block plane used to trim the remainder makes it almost impossible to screw up. This is the technique I use on birch dowels and surfaces that are veneered.

Blog Entries
    Mitsukawa makes a really nice flush cut saw for hardwoods.

You can slip a piece of paper between the blade and wood, then trim flush with a large slick.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Any idea what sort of glue was used? Most normal wood glues will let loose with a little heat. A clothes iron on the back of the drawer front could probably get the glue on the pin loose.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Any idea what sort of glue was used? Most normal wood glues will let loose with a little heat. A clothes iron on the back of the drawer front could probably get the glue on the pin loose.
    But I would be worried about the glue holding on the veneer in that case as well.

Sean's technique is pretty much dead on. Lee Valley has a nice, inexpensive ($24.95), double sided, flush cut saw that works really well (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...28&cat=1,42884).

Another thing you could do... Put down your blue tape to protect the wood, then lay a card scraper on top of that. Use the card scraper as a saw guide. It will leave right at a 0.020" stub - but shouldn't hit the drawer front if you are careful... clean off the stub with a good sharp chisel.

Blog Entries
    Plus one for the Lee Valley flush cut saw.
    I have one and use it. It does require developing a technique to use, but after you figure it out, it works.

Some times I have to hold the saw flat and flush with the cut using my finger tips.