Thread: Gemini Duets outside rating

Gemini Duets outside rating

I just got off the phone with Gemini and the nice lady couldn't find the outdoor rating for their XT series.
    She said she thinks it's roughly 5-7 years but couldn't produce any document.
    I'm assuming it's a different rating for different colors.
    I have a customer that wants to put a tag on the generators he installs with his service info but I have no idea how long they will last for him.

Does anyone have a document with the outdoor rating?
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Gemini warranties for 3 years, so they told me (verbal, no document).

I believe Romark is 2 years.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Not sure about Gemini but pretty sure they're all pretty much the same. For fun I soaked some black/white and white/black pieces of Rowmark in gasoline and diesel fuel for a weekend. Nothing happened, washed 'em off and used 'em!

At the very worst some colors might start to fade after a few years from UV rays, or pounding rain may take a toll on the thin top color layer. But most tags such as these will be mounted vertically on the side of something, where sun & weather will only be a 'partial' factor. The outdoor life of white/black text Lasermax is almost infinite, the white takes the most laser power to get thru which is can only help with longevity- Black/white a close second. I've been using 1/8" white/black Ultramatte for liquid dynamite mining truck labels since Ultramatte came out (early '90's?) -before that the company furnished me aluminum plates that we engraved and painted- their life span was less than 2 years due to weather (including sandstorms) and the acids in the product eating away the aluminum. My customer has never had a complaint from any of their customers since.

Only problem with Ultramatte is it's 'technically' not laserable, but you can if you're patient

Short version, just from experience, white background/black text material will last many years outside on the side of a generator
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Gemini warranties for 3 years, so they told me (verbal, no document).

I believe Romark is 2 years.
    I'm alittle surprised they are classify it as outdoors without any type of documentation stating how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Not sure about Gemini but pretty sure they're all pretty much the same. For fun I soaked some black/white and white/black pieces of Rowmark in gasoline and diesel fuel for a weekend. Nothing happened, washed 'em off and used 'em!

At the very worst some colors might start to fade after a few years from UV rays, or pounding rain may take a toll on the thin top color layer. But most tags such as these will be mounted vertically on the side of something, where sun & weather will only be a 'partial' factor. The outdoor life of white/black text Lasermax is almost infinite, the white takes the most laser power to get thru which is can only help with longevity- Black/white a close second. I've been using 1/8" white/black Ultramatte for liquid dynamite mining truck labels since Ultramatte came out (early '90's?) -before that the company furnished me aluminum plates that we engraved and painted- their life span was less than 2 years due to weather (including sandstorms) and the acids in the product eating away the aluminum. My customer has never had a complaint from any of their customers since.

Only problem with Ultramatte is it's 'technically' not laserable, but you can if you're patient

Short version, just from experience, white background/black text material will last many years outside on the side of a generator
    That's excellent information to know. I just so happen to have some white/black and I was going to use it to make him some samples.

Thanks.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Software used

Generally speaking, people don't like to warranty/guarantee outdoor sign products. The simple reason is because of location and application. If you put something in the sun in Florida near the beach, it's going to look a lot different than something sitting in the shade in Oklahoma.

Don't over promise, but there is no reason any of the engravers plastics won't work for this application. Just stay away from the metallics and the foils.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    3 yr warranty is totally fair. It is acrylic, should last as long as most outdoor signs. maybe a decade as a tag. Only thing better would be an engraved metal or embossed. And any paint won't last that long.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Go ahead and issue a 3 year warranty- It's likely longer than the warranty of the generator it'll be attached to:

GENERAC POWER SYSTEMS STANDARD LIMITED WARRANTY FOR
    HOME STANDBY/LIGHT COMMERCIAL STATIONARY EMERGENCY PRODUCT BELOW 50kW

For a period of two (2) years from the date of sale, Generac Power Systems, Inc. (Generac) will, at its option, repair or replace any part(s) which, upon
    examination, inspection, and testing by Generac or an Authorized/Certified Generac Dealer, or branch thereof, is found to be defective under normal use and
    service, in accordance with the warranty schedule set forth below. Any equipment that the purchaser/owner claims to be defective must be examined by
    the nearest Authorized/ Certified Generac Dealer, or branch thereof. This warranty applies only to Generac generators used in "Stationary Emergency" appli
    -
    cations, as Generac has defined Stationary Emergency, provided said generator has been properly installed and inspected on-site by appropriate personnel.
    It is highly recommended that scheduled maintenance, as outlined by the generator Owner's Manual, be performed by an Authorized/Certified Generac
    Servie Dealer, or branch thereof. This will verify service has been performed on the unit throughout the warranty period.
    *** This warranty only applies to units sold for use in the US and Canada
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you everyone.
    I greatly appreciate the replies.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Software used

Purchase a sheet of 1/4" thick Corian. Some distributors will sell you half sheets.
    Cut your tags to size.
    Engrave your text or graphics about 1/32" deep, spray paint then sand off the excess.
    Dupont warrants Corian for 50 years of exterior service.
    Even if the paint fades after 15 years the text will always be readable.
    I'll bet that your cost per tag will be less expensive than traditional materials.