Thread: V-Gouge for Finial

V-Gouge for Finial

Anyone ever make a finial like this one? if so what size V-gouge did you use. There are 24 segments around a 2.75" finial.Finial.jpg

Brian, a Newport style flame finial. I have carved simpler Connecticut style flame finials, where the base of the urn is just a turning. I know the book by Tony Kubalak carving 18th Century American Furniture Elements details carving exactly the Newport style finial. It seems like a Kubalak uses a very small v tool, to separate the length of the petals, hope this helps..

Edit: correction Kubalak says to use a very small v tool (presumably a 1mm) or a #11-0.5 mm veiner, that small a veiner or v tool must be a treat to sharpen.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 03-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Looks like a fun project, I love spirals! The petals look like a real challenge though!

Not sure if its the same as what Robert was talking about but I picked up a set of the octagonal handled two cherries micro tools a while back
    https://twocherriesusa.com/category/...carving-tools/

It was a bargain bin collection so not one of the stock sets (I think there was ~5 in it - it might have been the set of 6 missing one, I've only used 3 with anything resembling regularity). I wouldn't have necessarily gotten them if they weren't in the bargain bin but they've been a real treat for some small detail stuff. They are a bit of a trick to sharpen but I only use them for very fine finishing cuts and its not to bad with some care and a nice set of arkansas slips (I've been using the translucent from https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...item/MS-CTS.XX maybe the hard are the "same" but the translucent were really fine out of the box and bring a small smile to my face every time I use them so.. cry once I suppose).

Thanks I have been trying to fine a book that could give a little bit of instruction and my local Library has Carving 18th Century American Furniture Elements, I just placed it on hold.

Brian, glad you could find the book, it should help. Just a couple of comments on the technique used in the book; Making the finial in two parts is a excellent tip,especially if one is using Mahogany, I did the same with my flame finials in Walnut. I found that sawing a kerf in the center of flame was very helpful, the kerf establishes the depth of the concavity of the flame and makes carving the flame easier, as the fibers are severed..