Thread: York pitch No. 3

York pitch No. 3

One year, I found a Dunlap ( Este) #3 sized plane.....

Well, it WAS about the same size as my other #3 planes.

While to bottom of the frog was flat, where it sat in the base...was not. And it was designed that way.

Iron was narrower than a "normal" #3's width, as it was a Metric size. The York Pitch?
    Dunlap No. 3.jpg
    The plane in front is your normal #3 size plane. The Dunlap is sitting right behind it. There is about a 5 degree difference in the angle each iron sits at.
    SDC13639.jpg
    This is under the hood. The seat slopes down towards the mouth, the bottom of the frog is flat..
    SDC14584.jpg
    I also stripped off all that ugly, thick, red paint from the handles.
    SDC14315.jpg
    Couldbe made to work, but..took a lot more effort to push along. Finally wound up selling it.

Interesting - Dunlap was the second line, but that frog seating looks like they were trying for a budget Bedrock design.

This was one of two of these planes I had for awhile, along with a #5. Blades were marked as "Made in West Germany" and were metric in width.....enough that a "normal" width iron would not fit. Strangely, only one of the #3 size planes was the York Pitch, neither the other #3, nor the #5 had it. Frog seats on those two were flat, not angled. At least they were easier to push than that Yorkie was.