Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal detector

Steve, it will usually pick up a nail in dry oak 6" deep (reclaimed beams).

Thanks for the info.

I feel like I'm headed in the right direction now. Also Garrett has some good videos on the settings.
    RD

Just started to consider metal detectors and have a question concerning depth of detection. The Lumber Wizard guy indicated that the effective depth for the new lumber wizard would be up to 1 1/4" or so for tiny pieces like staples, but more (somewhere around 2"+) larger pieces, like 1/16" nails. If you scan both sides of a 4" thick board a significant piece of metal like a nail should show up if it is more toward one face or another. Am I correct? Just trying to get a better sense of whether it is worth the $150 for a new Lumber Wizard 4 (or $120 at Amazon for a Lumber Wizard 3).

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Just started to consider metal detectors and have a question concerning depth of detection. The Lumber Wizard guy indicated that the effective depth for the new lumber wizard would be up to 1 1/4" or so for tiny pieces like staples, but more (somewhere around 2"+) larger pieces, like 1/16" nails. If you scan both sides of a 4" thick board a significant piece of metal like a nail should show up if it is more toward one face or another.
    Randy,

That's how I interpret the specs.

After the responses I got to my original question I'm favoring something like the Garret 250 but I haven't looked at them in a while. For me the Lumber Wizard seems too limited for the money. Many modestly priced detectors can be tuned for sensitivity and even metal type. Plus for turning I'd like to see into thicker pieces of wood. From the reviews I've read, most people using the Lumber Wizard line are scanning flat lumber - doh! Some really like them though.

The ones I'm interested in are more expensive than the Lumber Wizard so I hope to find a good used one. It seems like the kind of hobby the many people would get bored with.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Randy,

That's how I interpret the specs.

After the responses I got to my original question I'm favoring something like the Garret 250 but I haven't looked at them in a while. For me the Lumber Wizard seems too limited for the money. Many modestly priced detectors can be tuned for sensitivity and even metal type. Plus for turning I'd like to see into thicker pieces of wood. From the reviews I've read, most people using the Lumber Wizard line are scanning flat lumber - doh! Some really like them though.

The ones I'm interested in are more expensive than the Lumber Wizard so I hope to find a good used one. It seems like the kind of hobby the many people would get bored with.
    eat
    Seems to me that the problem with metal detectors made for regular use in security or outdoor metal hunting aren't designed for woodworkers and it's unclear to me whether they would actually work as we would want them to. Plus, most higher end metal detectors are even more expensive than the Lumber Wizard. Amazon sells the Lumber Wizard 3, which isn't sold by Wizard Industries anymore, for $120 and, I can't seem to get a handle on what the differences are (except that the 4 has a laser which doesn't really seem like it's needed for the wood detecting). I was hoping that someone would be an expert and be able to help concerning the differences between regular metal detectors and the Lumber Wizard and whether a high end detector is even needed for wood.