Thread: Knives for Universal Cutter Head

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest

Knives for Universal Cutter Head

I am trying to find 50 mm knife blancs for the cutter head shown on the left, the hole pattern is identical to that of the Dimar, but they need to be 5.4 mm thick instead of the standard 4 mm. I tried all my local sources and they all tell me you're SOL or put it on ebay. However, I have two of them and a collection of knives that I prefer over the 4 mm versions.
    I would appreciate if someone could point me to a retailer/manufacturer, preferably in Canada bec. of shipping and customs but I will consider others as well.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the past, whenever I needed something for the shaper that wasn't readily available online, I call W Moore Profiles (I've always dealt with Steve in the NY office), and if they don't have it he'll get it for me. They definitely make custom knives, and if they couldn't get you blanks, might be able to make them for you. Your heads look nearly identical to the Flurry head (sold under many brand names, Amana, Felder, etc.) And Flurry may make blank knife stock too. I hope one of those two avenues help you out. There may be an Amana or Flurry dealer in Canada.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Thanks Sam, for the tip. I'll try calling W Moore Profiles in the morning, their website looks promising. Dimar, Amana, Felder, ... only carry 4 mm thick knives that are to thin for the Xcalibur head.

Woodworkers tool works in WI or
    Wisconsin knife works.

Amana makes 60 mm x 5.5 mm Euro block knives, will those work if you have them reduced in height and balanced?
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 04-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Phillip, you are correct. I bought 10 pairs of 53 mm long blanc at www.toolstoday.com and had them here in less than 2 weeks, now I'm waiting to get 2 sets back from my sharpening service.