Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yet another shop build.... McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Is that open or close cell spray foam there, Mark? What kind of tool is he using to cut it back? I used a longish handsaw to do mine but that is some work. It looks like he has a 3' long sawzall blade or something! I also chopped into an electrical line that had somehow gotten pushed out beyond the stud-face plane. I'm guessing the spray foam forced it out and I didn't see it until sparks and that burnt spell stopped me. That was a pain to fix. It is also a pain getting rid of all the excess chunks of foam. I like the stuff, however, as it seals well and has a very high R-value.
    Its open cell foam. The trimmer looked like a sawzall with a 3 foot long blade on it. I tried cutting the foam with a razor to do some final trimming around outlets and in corners and it didn't cut easy, but the guys electrical machine just sheared through the foam leaving a very clean, flat surface. The R value for open celled foam isn't as good as closed cell, ~1/2 the R for ~1/2 the price. Its comparable to fiberglass batts, but with much better air resistance.
    Mark McFarlane

...and the drywall is up. Tapers haven't shown yet, were supposed to come today. Small hole in ceiling is return vent for DC. Room to right is the machine room.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark McFarlane

Starting to look like you mean it!

Looking good!!! Well, open-cell should be quite easy to remove...you can use your hands to rip out chunks. The closed-cell is like cement...needs cut.

But, yeah, open is about R-3.5/in and closed R-7/in. And you're right, the foam seals way way better than batts. Moving air within your walls is bad.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-25-2017 at 6:02 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I prototyped some molding designs out of plywood over the weekend and ordered the raw material (yellow pine) yesterday. Should arrive Thursday.

There is going to be bit of milling to do, I'm not using stock moldings although some items like the crown build are made from a couple stock pieces plus 7" strips of birch plywood as the frieze. Mostly ordered 1* FJ Pine material for casings, jambs, frieze, baseboard,...

Craftsman style. Here's a pic of the window/door casing design and the plinths and baseboard. I cut up some stair treads to make the plinths. Worked brilliantly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark McFarlane

2trim2jpg.jpggarage2.jpg

Slow but steady progress. Trim is done. Brick is 90% done. Bathroom tile is 80% done. Garage door went in yesterday. It's a nice R17 door, we'll just have to see if I can get it to seal well enough to warrant the extra insulation and expense of the door. The door faces NW, so at the least I'll get some benefit from the afternoon sun baking the door. Hopefully the electrical service will be completed early next week, along with painting and final AC install.

I decided to go with a professional epoxy floor with some uLine mats and Sam's foam tiles various places. Same guy who did my garage, which is beautiful and durable.

I did the full trim treatment on the garage door. Used my Domino to piece together some left over scraps, I think there are 12 pieces of scrap in the header. Its getting closer, I should be in the shop in 2-3 more weeks... Landscaping, driveway,final grading,... to follow.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 06-23-2017 at 9:48 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Great progress there!

Mark, can they do that epoxy floor in a non-slip surface?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking great.
    You'll really like the jack-shaft opener. I put in the same in my current shop and it's nice to have one less thing to hit while moving lumber ... or block the light.

epoxy floor.jpg

My current garage floor has the same epoxy on it and it is not slippery. The surface is fairly textured, there were a lot of solids put down. Here is a pic of my current floor, showing some of the surface relief (and a little sawdust).
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 06-23-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Looking great.
    You'll really like the jack-shaft opener. I put in the same in my current shop and it's nice to have one less thing to hit while moving lumber ... or block the light.
    That was my thought when I paid the 2X price . It is also extremely quiet. Very cool opener. Lots of 'features' available: phone control, motion detector for lighting, lock out, timed closing,...
    Mark McFarlane

I built my SCMS station. It will have fold down extensions, some day...

mitre saw station.jpg

And the carcasses for my first 14' of cabinets is done, and finished with ARM-R-Seal inside. Eventually it will have doors and drawers, but I built it for shelfs also. Gotta jump start the shop. Hopefully the electrical meter will be gone next week and I'll have the new 400 AMP service in place (200 for house, 200 for shop, separate systems).

cabs.jpg

I also got a 'decent' deal on a beautiful 5' chunk of granite for the sink area. It will be nicer than our kitchen sink, which may cause problems .

This weekend I'll build some wall shelfs/cabinets...
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 06-23-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Mark McFarlane

Very nice workshop. If you haven't already bought the floor mats you might want to have a look at the rubber mats used in barns for horses and cattle. Made of recycled tires and about 3/4 inches thick.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    epoxy floor.jpg

My current garage floor has the same epoxy on it and it is not slippery. The surface is fairly textured, there were a lot of solids put down. Here is a pic of my current floor, showing some of the surface relief (and a little sawdust).
    Kewel. I only asked because sawdust on a slick floor is, well...you know..."interesting".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kewel. I only asked because sawdust on a slick floor is, well...you know..."interesting".
    AnchorSeal on concrete is also interesting.

The friend who surfaced my concrete asked me if Ii wanted it polished slick and I said "NO!"

Mark's floor looks perfect. Maybe I'll get that done when I win the lottery. Oh, wait, someone told me you can't win if you don't play...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Very nice workshop. If you haven't already bought the floor mats you might want to have a look at the rubber mats used in barns for horses and cattle. Made of recycled tires and about 3/4 inches thick.

Pete
    I weigh a lot less than a horse. I think I should want a 'softer' mat with more flex for the max benefit to my knees and hips. At least, that's what I currently think.
    Mark McFarlane