Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Yet another shop build.... McFarlane

uppers.jpg

I built some upper cabinets over the past week. It's coming together. I still have to commission a few new tools and get ductwork delivered and installed.

My favorite feature in the new shop is the sink. Never had one before, saves a bunch of time running into the house to clean brushes, wet down a rag for glue squeeze out,...

One item I wish I had added was a bathroom type fan to help evacuate the air. The varnish/oil I am using on the cabinets stinks for a few days, and the bugs get pretty bad this time of year, in the forrest, in Texas. Opening the windows helps, but a fan would help more.

I used my stationary belt sander on the 'finishing supplies' cabinet to square up the edges, without DC. Big mistake. Took longer to clean up the mess than if I had used the Rotex, but it was fun. Just a few seconds and the corners matched perfectly.

Natural gas whole-house generator is coming next week. It was supposed to get installed during the hurricane, which has some humor associated with it. The gene is for the house, not the shop, which is on a separate sub panel.

I'm taking a well deserved 4 day vacation next week to visit some old friends in Northern Michigan.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 09-11-2017 at 1:27 PM.
    Mark McFarlane

You're shop is really organized, and really clean! Nice!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    You're shop is really organized, and really clean! Nice!
    Thanks Jefferey. I actually keep it pretty clean, even when I am working a project I will stop every few hours and put things away, clear off the floor,...
    Mark McFarlane

I've really enjoyed your shop build, Mark. Inspiring. My CU300 is shoehorned into a single-car space in a three-car garage and I am tripping over DC hose. What part of town are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Willhoit View Post
    I've really enjoyed your shop build, Mark. Inspiring. My CU300 is shoehorned into a single-car space in a three-car garage and I am tripping over DC hose. What part of town are you in?
    Thanks Todd. We are north of Houston in Montgomery, specifically Walden. We used to live a mile or so east of the Katy city limits. 16 years ago, near Barker's Cypress and Clay Road.

I still don't have the CU300 running. I've had too many other projects related to the building completion, landscaping, and particularly getting the recording studio half of the new building operational.

I've almost finished the recording studio over the past 2 weeks. Did software yesterday and hardware testing today. Refinished some furniture for the space. I still have a bunch of low voltage cabling in the walls that need to be soldered up, but I can operate without them.

I also spent about a week setting up a new mesh network, installing security cameras, video conferencing, and automation. Most of the lighting in my house is now either on timers (outside) or controllable by voice. Its really convenient: when I leave a space I can just say 'turn out the lights', or do it from another room, or from another city. My wife can also check in on me from the kitchen.

Next week I should have all of the pieces for the DC ductwork on site, so I have some new impetus for completing commissioning of the CU300 and MM16. You can't really run a large multi-function machine without dust collection.

I added a couple grainy pics of the music studio side of the new build. I know at least Jim will get a kick out of it. I designed the moulding and milled some of the trim.

live room.jpgcontrol room.jpg
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 09-20-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Darn...that studio looks great!!!! {drool...} Strangely enough, a work friend in Florida also showed me photos of his studio in Florida about an hour ago. I may or may not get to see it in early October as I'm headed down there to visit with the 'rents the day after I officially retire ( ) at the end of the month and he may be interested in some of my old gear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The saw function of the CU300 is operational, and dust collection is operational. Now I just need to insert the planner blades, put a blade on the MM16, and do some tuning, but overall the major pieces of the shop are finally in place. Yipee. Maybe 1 more week... then the clamp stand, wood storage,... Maybe 3 more months .

The Nordfab ductwork was quite nice to work with. The slip-joints came in very handy when I had to hit very specific targets, like the overhead collection, the in-slab ductwork, and routing around an attic stop-down stair. The attic stair isn't perfect. I thought it was until I tried dropping the stairs and they hit the ductwork, but only slightly. Wonder if I'll ever fix that 1/2" problem... .
    SaveSave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 10-04-2017 at 1:07 PM.
    Mark McFarlane

Nordfab is amazing and makes my worship those of you that do true spiral up high. I cant imagine having to do the hard stuff!

Great job on thevsaw!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.