Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another shop build.... McFarlane

Pretty simple really. Tear it out, have the plumbers pay for it. 3" miss is correctable, 3-0 is inexcusable. Hold them accountable

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Pretty simple really. Tear it out, have the plumbers pay for it. 3" miss is correctable, 3-0 is inexcusable. Hold them accountable
    Accountability can be a real problem for anyone contracting for a one-time event. A builder or full-time GC has the next job, or next 10 jobs, as leverage to get a sub to 'make it right'.

Unfortunately a home-owner, who's typically a one-off job for a given sub, has no such advantage. The internet and forums (like SMC!) have made negative advertising a risk for subs who practice their profession in a slip-shod manner, but many just change their name (if they have one) and move on.

It becomes a balancing act for the owner- - when does my fix-it demand reduce the sub's profit to 0%. Many will walk away at that point. This is Texas, and I'll let you paint your own picture of the job market for the trades here.

Mark, best wishes with the build!

I think I will stop right here, before I get this thread locked. Enjoy the shop, hope it gets better, as it goes along.

If it were me, I'd fix it now. Cut the concrete, move the pipe and pour a patch. I've had to do it myself. Good luck & have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Green View Post
    If it were me, I'd fix it now. Cut the concrete, move the pipe and pour a patch. I've had to do it myself. Good luck & have fun.
    The soil in Houston is problematic due to its high clay content and moisture changes. I paid about $1600 (I think) for the slab design. Deep bell bottom piers, 2' thick concrete beams, lots of rebar....

Cutting into the slab is a little scary, but I will consult with the engineer. I do think we can extend without cutting into a concrete beam. I'll probably hear back from the GC today, I emailed him last night.

The master plumber (on site during the dig), and the GC both should have caught this problem after the pipe was laid but before the beams got dug, termite treatment performed, plastic laid, and then the steel went in.

FWIW, the slab prep process was somewhat interesting. Lots of different crews working for the better parts of 7 days.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Accountability can be a real problem for anyone contracting for a one-time event. A builder or full-time GC has the next job, or next 10 jobs, as leverage to get a sub to 'make it right'. ...
    Mark, best wishes with the build!
    FYI, I have a GC. 70 year old guy that builds 'nice' homes. Same guy that built my house.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    It's so exciting when it all starts to come together!

Large bummer about the plumbing. That, plus the cost, is the reason I did my shop myself, from clearing, compacting, and leveling to forming and rebar to the underground electrical and light switches - any big goofs and I can only blame myself. Of course it took me several years! (And still not completely done - just needs a little "trim"!)

I look forward to more pictures. An updated floor plan diagram with tool placement and such would be fun - I love looking at other's ideas.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    ... (And still not completely done - just needs a little "trim"!)...
    JKJ

I'm marking the date. Will get back to you John in 5 more years.
    Mark McFarlane

A few more layout pics, as requested
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark McFarlane

from bandsaw.jpg

And the view from my bandsaw location...
    Mark McFarlane

Great Project Mark ..

Are you going to pipe compressed air through the walls and ceilings ? I finished my shop about 8 months ago, compressed air in the walls and ceilings is the #1 favorite .. Dust and wiring under the floor is a close #2 ..

Have fun I will keep checking in ..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Great Project Mark ..

Are you going to pipe compressed air through the walls and ceilings ? I finished my shop about 8 months ago, compressed air in the walls and ceilings is the #1 favorite .. Dust and wiring under the floor is a close #2 ..

Have fun I will keep checking in ..
    Thanks Rick for the reminder, I do plan to pipe air to a few places. Not copper, but one of those plastic kits designed for shop air distribution. I already have an HVLP turbine, so the air will be mostly for dusting and nail guns at the bench.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Thanks Rick for the reminder, I do plan to pipe air to a few places. Not copper, but one of those plastic kits designed for shop air distribution. I already have an HVLP turbine, so the air will be mostly for dusting and nail guns at the bench.
    I installed the 1/2" RapidAir pipe and fittings across the attic and in the walls. No problems. It is so nice to have air outlets at the wood lathes, sharpening, etc., without having to drape a long hose across the room. In the bay area next to a garage door I put a reel with a 50' hose - air up tractor tires outside and run impact wrenches inside and out. Another outlet is outside on the other end of the shop - I use it more than I imagined to blow the junk off chainsaws, when shearing llamas, etc. Another one in my little weld shop for the plasma cutter and one by the milling machine/lathes. 8 outlets all together.

I don't remember if you discussed this earlier but putting the dust collection and air compressor in a sound-isolated spot is a big plus. I put all my filters, valves, regulator, and electrical cutoff outside the closet where I can access it easily in the main shop. If you can swing copper for the first 25' or so before the water separator/dryer/filter and distribution manifold I understand it will give the hot air from the compressor time to cool and condense the moisture and keep it out of the lines. I haven't done this yet but it's on my list to get done (in the next 5 years!) I plan on making a loop around the inside of the noise closet with the pipe sloped toward a water trap.

Your shop diagrams look good. But I don't see the woodturning alcove.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    ... I don't see the woodturning alcove.

JKJ
    There is a lathe along the left wall by the machine room. I didn't label it because I don't plan to buy one for at least a few years. My wife has expressed an interest in turning so we'll see what happens.

The 6'*7' machine room will house electric cutoffs, the j-box for he shop, air compressor and DC. Exterior-grade door, insulated.
    Mark McFarlane

Just got through reading about your problem with the plumber. In my building career, the biggest problem people to work with were plumbers. Think the only reason some have jobs is because of licensing. But the thing is, you could have run the DC piping yourself. No licensing of piping for a DC.