Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Yet another shop build.... McFarlane

Great job!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Attachment 363949

Still no power, but the floor is done so I moved in today. Stationary and benchtop tools start arriving next week. Lighting is 4 LED strips sitting on chairs and counter tops. Its gonna be really bright when all 30 are lit up....

I had a heck of a time tonight installing my base cabinets. Built Euro style / frameless boxes using an MFT, parallel guides, and a track saw. There is very little tolerance to the boxes not being perfectly sized/square. 1mm off in width from front to back adds up when you put 7 of them in a row and want the sides to be tight against each other.

I'm pretty sure the lengths of components are all uniform, I was very careful. I am guessing I didn't seat every dado fully. The bottoms, backs, and top braces and all dadoed. Add in a crooked wall and it took some thought and re-engineering. At least I recessed the backs so I could trim the backs where the wall bulged.

Anyway, I worked 14 hours on this today, Time for a bath, some Motrin, and bed
    With no power, I'll assume that fan in the doorway is the HVAC (for now). Which in a Houston summer makes you a better man than I. I'd have waited til the cool day y'all have. (...I hear it's scheduled for Dec 12 this year?)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    With no power, I'll assume that fan in the doorway is the HVAC (for now). Which in a Houston summer makes you a better man than I. I'd have waited til the cool day y'all have. (...I hear it's scheduled for Dec 12 this year?)
    That is the HVAC . If I open up the shop doors/windows at 6AM and close it up by 8AM, it stays around 86 all day in the shop, which is manageable. Much better than the 94-96 outside. The spray foam insulation is doing its job.
    Mark McFarlane

That is the HVAC . If I open up the shop doors/windows at 6AM and close it up by 8AM, it stays around 86 all day in the shop, which is manageable. Much better than the 94-96 outside. The spray foam insulation is doing its job.
    I'm sure there are plenty of people here who grew up without air conditioning like I did. My mother opened the windows at night and ran one fan then closed them in late morning - the house was always cool enough even when it was 90+ outside and I never imagined it wasn't perfect.

I have heat and air in my shop and usually keep the thermostat around 80 or higher in the summer, 79-80 in the house. I can't believe some people keep their houses at 68. I'd need a jacket and long pants.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I'm sure there are plenty of people here who grew up without air conditioning like I did. My mother opened the windows at night and ran one fan then closed them in late morning - the house was always cool enough even when it was 90+ outside and I never imagined it wasn't perfect.

I have heat and air in my shop and usually keep the thermostat around 80 or higher in the summer, 79-80 in the house. I can't believe some people keep their houses at 68. I'd need a jacket and long pants.

JKJ
    I feel like a dehumidified 80 would feel pretty good in the shop. 86 at 72% humidity is fairly uncomfortable, but better then 95 at the same humidity.

I grew up in Chicago without AC. We wanted it for about 6 weeks in the summer, we just moved to the basement for those weeks. We had one neighbor I knew of with AC out of maybe 300 homes. I'm sure they all have central AC now. We moved to Texas in the summer of '79 with no AC in either of our cars. That was pretty miserable...
    Mark McFarlane

sink.jpgMM.jpg

Ther' be power in the shop, matey.

The AC guys should be here any minute now. Minimax shipment came Wednesday (I arranged riggers to move it from a local terminal, not cheap but these guys were really good). New sink is working. DC arrived yesterday. Life is good.

I suspect it will take me 2-3 weeks to commission the DC and other new stationary tools, hang the lights,.... Then I need to buy a metal detector and mill up the shipping crates .
    Mark McFarlane

Oh ya, I built a plywood storage rack over last weekend. Got a really good idea off Youtube to use moveable vertical dividers made of 3/4" conduit (the video I watched used 1/2" conduit, but I tend to over engineer).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark McFarlane

Great progress, Mark! And congrats on the "hardware", err..."toys"...arrival.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice rack!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The HVAC guys showed at at 3:30 PM (for their 9AM appointment). Looks like I'm going to have my first cool weekend in the shop, while its 98 outside.
    Mark McFarlane

The HVAC guys showed at at 3:30 PM (for their 9AM appointment). Looks like I'm going to have my first cool weekend in the shop, while its 98 outside.
    THAT will be time to celebrate! The best thing this ol' guy has ever done was put HVAC in the shop. Above 90 or below freezing I can still play, er, work productively.

I hired a company but for an unbelievable discount they agreed to let me install the unit, wiring, ductwork, basically everything but the copper connections and the freon charge. I still can't imagine how I worked without heat and air in my last three shops.

JKJ

Its coming along, slowly. Still haven't had time to setup the Cu300, maybe today I'll get back to it. A few updated pics, one of a 1950s era Craftsman wall toolbox - shop art. A few of the original tools are missing.

It is amazingly convenient to have running water in the shop. A first for me.

My Oneida DC is all hooked up, but I have been waiting for over a month now for them to come back with a design for the ductwork. Been calling/writing every other day. I am very disappointed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 08-18-2017 at 1:05 PM.
    Mark McFarlane

Looks like a great workshop space, Mark. Light and airy with plenty of space. Hope Oneida get their finger out

Is it not a ductwork plan you can figure out yourself?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Is it not a ductwork plan you can figure out yourself?
    Yes Mike, I can do it, but I prefer for them to send me their plan. I didn't want to spend the time figuring out all the necessary couplings/fittings, buying things that didn't quite fit. I wanted to avoid that headache.

I've been plenty busy on other projects, but if they don't do something next week I'll order the stuff myself.
    Mark McFarlane