Thread: Separating workbench top

Red face Separating workbench top

I want to re-do my workbench but when I made it I think I screwed and glued a counter top to a sheet of plywood that was screwed to the base. Now I need to separate the top from the plywood so I can make a new top out of laminated 2x4's. Is there a way to do this other than get a large crow bar and a sledge and go to work?

Stu
    Stuart Reid
    Fisherman in Training

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I wouldn't bother trying to separate glued sheet goods. But if your plywood is screwed to some legs try to cut the screws
    If you have a multi tool (like a Fein) you can get a flush cut metal blade and cut the screws; if you used hardened screws you can cut them part way and give them a whack with a sledge, they should break.
    Or just cut the legs the thickness of the new top and get the same height you have.

Sawzall - solves all kinds of problems

If it's glued, then you're not going to have a good time. I don't see a way for you to remove it without destroying the plywood.

In lieu of pictures, my guess is that you're better off cutting out the plywood too.

When you install your 2x4 top, definitely don't do this again. You need to allow the solid wood top to expand and contract. Gluing wide​ solid wood slabs down to plywood like that is asking for trouble.

Well thank god for sawzall and a wrecking bar! I finally got the top and the old plywood off of the base and now I can do a new 2x4 top. Be assured it will not be fastened in the same manner!

Stu
    Stuart Reid
    Fisherman in Training

Good stuff Stuart. Glad to hear you solved that one.
    David

Your more of a man than I am, had it been me I would have hit it with a gallon of gas and a match, then started over...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.