Thread: What color dye or stain to use on old hardwood stanley totes

What color dye or stain to use on old hardwood stanley totes

I have an old light hardwood tote from a stanley no. 8. Does anybody know what color stain I should use? Matching the color based on my other rosewood totes is not an option since I am color blind and cannot see any nuances in the color besides dark brown. So a stain color by name if anyone knows it would be helpful.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Why not just go for a blonde?

Use Minwax Dark Walnut....

If it an old one - type 13 and below, for example - the tote will be rosewood. If you plane is modern, they used other woods. If you want to stain, I'd use a walnut stain.

As an alternate, you can make a new tote from walnut and it'll look pretty good. Or for a different look, use cherry.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would not dye the wood as over time the shade will become uneven. The friction on the handles are high.

I would just wax it.

I like Danish oil, and you can get it in various color shades. It does not make soft woods look blotchy by over emphasizing the the soft/hard texture of the growth rings. It does give and nice even tone that does bring out the grain to an extent, and gives it a warm tone that I like a great deal.

After it drys well (a few days), a brushed on poly-Urethane finish (it may take 3 coats, sanding lightly between coats, to get a nice finish.) Once done, the poly-U will make a tough long lasting finish, and I think such a finish, with the poly -U and Danish makes for a hansome appearance.

Stew

Stew