Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Busy day in the shop

New batteries in the camera....
    lip.JPG
    After using the shoulder plane to fit the lip to the lid.
    hinges.JPG
    Hinges installed..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Latch installed. Tools?
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Push drill for the pilot holes, spokeshave for detail work. Shoulder plane is by Ohio Tool Co.
    lid's top.JPG
    I try to select plywood with decent grain....
    repaired end.JPG
    This is the repaired end. Repair is along the bottom edge..
    front view.JPG
    Front view, with the non-repaired end. Has the first coat of The Infamous Witch's Brew. Need to rub this out, and apply a second coat.....later.
    Started out with a resawn 4 x 4 pine scrap, and some scrap plywood. Not too bad?

Letting the "Brew" cure out for a day or two.....BLO seems to take a while...

Trip to the Blue Store today, bought a couple 1 x 4 x 24" Poplar boards....next project.

Will try something...a little different....stay tuned.

I was not expecting to see pictures of a plane when the subject was "going at a box with a 45".... Let's just say I was expecting a perforated box with a lot of chip out... Not neat chamfers.

My 45 doesn't leave neat chamfers

Happens when the 45 was made by Stanley, and not by Colt....

Hi Steven,

+1 on what Jim said. Using the 45 to separate the two halves of the box is a great idea, and I would not have thought of it! The witches brew came through, I like the way it does with the grain and makes the fir (or pine) look good. I like Danish oil for the same reason, nice what it does to the look of those types of lumber. That is a nice looking piece of ply for the top.

If I had a dungeon shop and the 45 I used was a Colt instead of a Stanley, I could get in a great deal of trouble with the better half, even if the Colt doesn't chip out as much as the Stanley.

Stew