Thread: Steb Center

Steb Center

I need to buy some new steb centers. I have been using the PSI brand for 6-7 years, but the are showing some marks mid-way of the taper. I have been cleaning them up with 400 grit paper with oil. They are inexpensive and have worked well. Looking there is Woodriver slightly higher and then Sorby 3X more than PSI. The Sorby's have a relief mid-way of the taper. What do you use or recommend?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

2. William.....from my years of experience the PSI, the CSUSA Apprentice, Grizzly, and several others are all made by the same manufacturer over in China. PSI are decent.......you might want to take a look at the Sorby steb centers.....not sure they are better, but they do look to be a bit more refined in the machining than the Apprentice and PSI versions. Check them out for yourself.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I need to buy some new steb centers. I have been using the PSI brand for 6-7 years, but the are showing some marks mid-way of the taper. I have been cleaning them up with 400 grit paper with oil. They are inexpensive and have worked well. Looking there is Woodriver slightly higher and then Sorby 3X more than PSI. The Sorby's have a relief mid-way of the taper. What do you use or recommend?
    I've been using the Sorby for years with zero issues. I have the 1/2" and 7/8" drive centers and the 1/2" revolving center. I one or more of these on nearly every spindle turning.

Sorry, but I have no experience with the cheaper models. I don't know what you mean by "showing some marks". Is there is some problem with the fit at the middle of the morse taper in the headstock?

JKJ

Sorby's stebs are machined better and from threads I read don't lose their spring point. That tends to be a problem with the cheap ones. IF you got 6 years out of a PSI one you are ahead of the game. # PSI for the price of a Sorby is a value judgement you will have to make. You do get what you pay for. Sometimes cheaper is ok.
    God is great and life is good!

Nova has 3 new ones used in conjunction with chucks and they work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Nova has 3 new ones used in conjunction with chucks and they work nicely.

Thanks Bill, hadn't considered a chuck type. I ordered the Nova 1/2" and 7/8". I'm sure it fits my G3 and thinking it will fit my HTC 125. Like the idea of not having to use the taper.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

William I use the Sorby (yes the Vortex got me again) I love them. I too have a 1/2 and 7/8. I often use them in my chucks which save some time!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .