Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite current production chisels

I'm a LV O1 guy. Like them a lot. I like the pattern and handles. O1 takes a keen edge and is easy to touch up (which I like), although you do have to touch it up more than the other steels.

I have an older set of 2 cherries and would agree that they aren't worth it. I'll be selling/giving mine away during a shop clean up in the not too distant future.

Interesting that there isn't a lot of love for 2 cherries....

I like longer socket chisels for paring, but I haven't seen any contemporary models I like, so I have put together a collection of vintage paring-length chisels I that work for me, mostly 720s and a few other odds and ends. Greenlees, if you can find them, seem pretty good, too.

I also have a set of Narex bench chisels which I usually reserve for rougher work, but they are well made and seem to take and hold an edge very well.

my favorites are the BARR Quartons, full set, hands down my go to choice. Second place to Lie Nielsen with the long cocobolo handles for paring. Third is the regular handled LN's. I bought all three of these sets new.

Back from when I started, I have used sets of Two Cherries, Crown and Marples which I keep for rough work and for loaners . . . . and actually prefer the older Marples of that group.

I recently got a set of BS paring chisels from another member here, have used them somewhat, seem okay but not overly impressed yet . . . actually, a bit disappointed as I really wanted to like them.

If I were forced to choose one of the BARR sets vs all the others combined, there would not be a moment's hesitation in choosing the BARR . . . but I would cry a bit about the long handled cocobolo LN's.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Hey guys

I would appreciate your opinions on your favorite current production chisels.

Primary use will be paring and general bench work.. My main wood hobby is acoustic guitars - so the edges can't roll when I work exotics like rosewood.. But they need to be able to take a keen edge for paring spruce - which tends to be very fiberous and not nearly as easy to work cleanly as you would think.

I am not looking for mortise chisels. Just good bench chisels.

I am looking for what you guys think of the chisels you use...
    What has worked out well
    what was mostly a bust.

The reason I ask about new, current production is that my experience with old rust is more miss than hit if you catch my drift.

Here are some I have been looking at...
    LN
    LV PM-V11
    LV O1
    Stanley sweetheart (new, not old)
    Stubai
    MHG
    Pfeil
    Ashley Iles
    Two Cherries/Hirsch

Thanks
    John,

The first questions to ask before narrowing in on a brand/type of chisel is: How do I like to sharpen? Freehand? With a jig? Oil stones, water stones, diamonds, or a combination of stones, grinder or not? How important is "sharp" and how often do you like to sharpen? All of those factors have more to do with suitability than Brand. You have already mentioned the type of wood you use that also comes into play. A-2 needs a high angle to prevent chipping, not so good for soft woods. O-1 can be sharpened to low angles but woods with a lots of grit will dull the edge quickly. PM-V11 fits kinda in between but works best with a grinder and water stones. After thinking about those factors you need to find chisels that "fit your hand". Different things drive different folks bonkers, such as I can look at the Narex chisels and tell if they were free and were made of wonder iron I'd never want to use them. Again different strokes for different folks but bottom line there is no one "best" chisel.

ken

I also like Barr as a go-to chisel. They are very rugged, get really sharp and hold it, and I just like doing business with the maker of the tools. I like his handles better than the LN's, too.

Kevin

Sharpening is not an issue for me. Like most of you - I know the sharpening paraphernalia rat hole all too well.

Interesting about the Barr chisels... You don't hear too much about those except in timber framing circles. The wood working mags that have tested them generally rated them mid pack...

I picked those Aldi sold chisels of mine, AFTER watching Paul Sellers posting a video review of them. Been using them HARD ever since. This coming Fathers' Day, I'll have them 3 years..I think.
    DSCF0011.JPG
    Chopping out sockets for the face frame rails to sit in. Never needed to sharpen during the entire project build. A few quick "Strop swipes" on the jeans was more than enough to keep it sharp. couple on the bevel, one on the back, and keep on chopping...about all I ever ask of a chisel, is to do the job I need done.
    Details 2.JPG
    Works for me...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-09-2017 at 7:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Sharpening is not an issue for me. Like most of you - I know the sharpening paraphernalia rat hole all too well.

Interesting about the Barr chisels... You don't hear too much about those except in timber framing circles. The wood working mags that have tested them generally rated them mid pack...
    Guess I haven't seen the reviews to which you have reference. However, I think Christian Becksvordt (?) is a big fan, and I know Steve Latta has one that he would immediately replace if it got lost. I do know what I like, and I have a fair supply available from which to choose. Sadly, I have more tools than talent, but I be trying. Try them or not, obviously your choice.

also, if you rely upon the reviews so much, why the heck are you asking us? Just go with whatever that reviewer said was best. Whatever you get, sharpen it and make something. Good luck. Patrick
    t

I have a set of LN Socket chisels that I like a great deal. They were all but perfect right out of the box. I also have a set of UK made Irwin/Marples that I use for rougher work. They perform well too. The Irwins took forever to prep for use though. The backs were far from flat.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'd like the 2 Cherries better if they didn't buff them to death,and round off their edges doing so. You can't get a square edge on the chisel's bevels with those round edges. Hirsch is the same.

I'm still using my old 1965 set of Marples chisels,though I'm sure there are better. The OLD(Emphasize OLD) set of Marples is just fine. New ones may be too soft. I haven't tried a new set of Marples,but everyone says they are too soft.

IF I EVER get around to re handling my new set of Pfiels,I'm sure they will give great service just as their carving tools do. And,I have used those carving tools in preference to all others,since the mid 1960's. Being a carving tool pig,I can speak with a lot of experience!!

When you compare production chisels to a few hand made Japanese chisels you quickly learn to treat the production chisels with the contempt they deserve. Perhaps some production chisels deserve even more contempt than others. Must try those Aldi chisels on fathers day!

Ken,
    what are your reservations about Narex,other than the lands being a little chunkier than I like, they have performed well for me,take an edge and keep it for what I perceive to be a reasonable length of time,and are quick to resharpen. I haven't had issue of edge failure in any species that I work with,admittedly almost all native species,but there are some nearly buggers out there. All in all they do what a chisel is supposed to do,cut wood. To be fair I also own LN and they're great,bought for me as a gift from my lovely wife God bless her,and they also do what a chisel should do,cut wood, my only gripe is they feel a little small in my hand,but then again I have hands the size of a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ryle View Post
    Ken,
    what are your reservations about Narex,other than the lands being a little chunkier than I like, they have performed well for me,take an edge and keep it for what I perceive to be a reasonable length of time,and are quick to resharpen. I haven't had issue of edge failure in any species that I work with,admittedly almost all native species,but there are some nearly buggers out there. All in all they do what a chisel is supposed to do,cut wood. To be fair I also own LN and they're great,bought for me as a gift from my lovely wife God bless her,and they also do what a chisel should do,cut wood, my only gripe is they feel a little small in my hand,but then again I have hands the size of a bear.
    David,

I will grant you everything you say about Narex chisels, I have no doubt they are very good chisels too many folks swear by their use. My objection is size and handle shape, I should have been more explicit in my post, the point I was trying to make, I admit very clumsily, was just because a chisel works great for one person with wonderful edge holding iron doesn't mean it will fit you. My hands are medium sized and I find smaller round handles, such as AI and Japanese bench chisels, work better for me.

Bottom line is: What will work for a individual isn't from a spec sheet or what another person thinks but comes from knowledge and thinking about how you work.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Still have that 4pc set from Aldis..( sold at Aldis every Fathers' Day) and I am getting tired of getting cut fingers, and not even feeling it. Until I see a little DNA on the wood, I have no idea I had been cut. Mirror polished right now, I strop the chisel merely to keep it sharp, haven't needed anything else for quite a while now. ~$7 a set....
    .Attachment 355691
    That's funny! I have a set of the Aldis too - and get cut the same way.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-11-2017 at 6:50 AM.