Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favorite current production chisels

Blog Entries
    I use my Pfeil for paring. My LV PM11 are used for chopping. I have LN fishtails that I like. I like the all.

If I had a lot of money, there are some Japanese chisels I like.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

The steel seems weird to me in my 2 cherries. I have a hard time getting a good edge. I have no knowledge of metallurgy so I can't tell you what is different. However, the steel seems to be a bit more "chewy" and it is hard to get the wire edge off of the steel. Of course, the problem could be in the operator. I just know that for me, they are a lot harder to sharpen than my LV O1. Plus, like George said, they round off all the sides and buff them to death.

Ken,
    that makes perfect sense, I think that's why I have never found Japanese chisels very comfortable and as a result have not been tempted to purchase,also I have an aversion to "collecting" blame my wife, she has shoes dating back to her early twenties were now late fifties, we have had a series of "discussions" about them every time we have moved.
    david

AI "roundback" for dovetails
    Narex for General bench work
    LV PM V11 from for edge longevity

I have a few of each, but one of the LV, and a crapload of other new and vintage
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.