Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do You Hoard Anything?

Hoarding? Nope, none here, not at all. Just have one of every kind, that's not hoarding, it's collecting. Say it with me folks, coll-ect-ing.

nohoardinghere.jpg

My Father was a hoarder in the sense. He came from the era that money was tight, you lived on on what the farm raised, & threw nothing away, because ya never knew when ya might it.

My mother on the other hand is a quilter. Geez, that's another nightmare in itself!

So, In some ways I am too. Lumber, especially. But screws, old tools, scroll saws, & sawblades fit in there, too. We live in the middle of nowhere. Anything of any importance that you may need "in the moment of a tight" has to ordered, & the rest of my shop inventory I try to keep up with when we go the city.
    Sawdust703

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Excellent advice, Patrick. I usually try to make it home after dark with my loads of wood, then tuck them in as best I can make them look like they were there all along.
    Oh Bill, I have even tried sprinkling saw dust on new acquisitions to no avail. She is NOT particularly attentive to detail in any aspect of her life EXCEPT when she walks into my shop, instantly sensing that there has been a disturbance in the force, promptly the inevitable "So, when did you get this?" . . . . and how much did it cost??????????

The foregoing is true, but actually I really am blessed in that she usually doesn't balk at the price, nor does she feel the need to spend similar sums to "catch up".
    None-the-less, her favorite rhetorical question, usually asked as she walks away shaking her head side-to-side, is "How many saws do you need???"

Mostly lumber. Especially cherry & walnut. Its hard to come by here, & expensive to buy. Screws, glue, nails for my air nailers would be next. A few old tools, as I've built my arsenal up to about all the toys I can fit in my humble little shop.
    Sawdust703

I doubt I'm adding anything new to the list here. Any hardwood I can reclaim - because I'm poor (cheap?) and can't spend the mortgage on that gorgeous piece of maple, thank you....

I try to be judicious about hardware. If it's clean and in good shape, I'll stash it; if its dinged, chewed, or super rusty? Gone. Except square nuts. ...I'm really partial to square nuts, for some reason, I don't know why... For the longest time, ALL of my hardware lived in a single four-container plastic storage bin. If it didn't / couldn't fit in that, I usually (reluctantly) got rid of it.

Honestly, I've moved so many @$%&# times in my forty years that I (and my wife) have gotten pretty darned good at cutting away the fat, so to speak. "Have I worn this in the past two years?" Gone. (I probably don't fit into it now anyways...) "Do I really want to carry that up these three flights of stairs?" Gone. Wait! Can I fix that bookshelf? Maybe just stash it and I'll fix next weekend.... NEXT next weekend...

It's probably inaccurate to call it "Spartan" living; but I kinda don't want two of something if I only need one. Chisels, though...

-Jake
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Not woodworking related, but books. Every shelf filled with them. Still have collage text books from the 80s. Keep thinking I might want to read or look through them again. But, of course, never do. Time for a serious library donation.

Yes, wood and hardware..I hate to run to the store when I'm in middle of a project...Hardwoods I save but then every year or 2 its time for a cleanout so the cars can fit into the garage.....You never know when you might need something that others might have thrown away..
    Jerry

A local hospital had their trees trimmed yesterday, and there was good sized limbs laying everywhere. The company that trimmed them went on break or something, and left the limbs unsupervised. Well, needless to say, I walked away from that place with some new maple for my stack. Hey, it's free wood!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford