Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Hoard Anything?

Blog Entries

Do You Hoard Anything?

The thread about the Popular Woodworking site got me to take a look. This was yesterday but other things came up before getting back.

While there this was read:

popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/the-demise-of-american-clamp-manufacturing-and-in-defense-of-hoarding-hardware

I do tend to hoard all kinds of hardware, scrap wood and other things. Often it has saved the day. Recently I wanted some #2 & #4 wood screws with slotted heads and made of brass. The supplier where I usually purchase these was out of stock so ordered some. I was going to only purchase about 10 or each. But when the order came in the manager had ordered 50 of each. The price was so good I took them all home.

Many times my stash of screws has saved me from having to run in to town for parts. The springs from discarded cigarette lighters have come in handy when an old chuck from an egg beater drill needs replacement springs.

Scrap wood comes in handy for making custom holders for small parts to be worked on and many other things before getting tossed in to the fireplace for a bit of heat.

So as the title asks, do you hoard and what do you hoard?

jtk
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-09-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nope... No hoarde here... What gives you that idea? And don't listen to my wife.. It's not a hoarde.

Long, skinny wood cutoffs. For the 10,000,000 tool handles and pens I will one day want to make out of some crappy, grain-runouty poplar.

I hoard small pieces of hardwoods. It's so expensive here.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jim, it is a matter of perception. My answer is "of course not!". On the other hand, I could use some more space for the additional stuff I hope to acquire/save/etc. . . . .

My better half has a problem with misperception though, so best we not bother asking her.

Some place, at some time, a wise sage must have said something about "more is better" . . . . .

Money, and I'm not very good at it.

Nope, I'm an anti-horder. I do have more screws & nuts & bolts than I'll ever need. I buy lumber and materials only as I need it. 99% of my cutoffs go into a trash can but if I haven't found a use for them before winter they go into the fireplace. Such is life in a 2 car garage shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I "save" things. I have lots of pieces of wood, narrow strips, pieces under an inch long, curved small pieces. I may need them to make several thousand wedges or shims or glue spreaders or patches, you know all of that very important stuff. I may have to lighten up a bit this spring because now you mentioned it I feel like a hoarder.
    Jim

I keep things only if I think I have a good reason to. If I can't imagine what I'd use it for, it goes into the trash.

Chisels...maybe?
    DSCF0014.JPG
    Of course, these are just the "extras" the users are up ON the bench...

About every 5 years or so I force myself to thin out (but not eliminate) the offcut supply underneath my assembly bench. I did come from a farm/ranch family and you know they don't throw anything away.
    David

I don't hoard, I stockpile raw materials and supplies. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. My wife is actually just as bad if not worse. If you know a quilter you know what I mean about fabric.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Not a hoarder in the slightest. I throw stuff out religiously as in the shop and home as soon as i get amy ide its not being used.

I did begin hoarding exotic and exrtra special domestic lumber about three years ago. Its getting to the point i may need to rent a storage space soon. I have one more maybe 10" wall in my shop i can put racks on then im gonna be in a little pickle.

I also keep my decent off cuts under my assembly table. About twice a year i take it down to a neatly organized pile that give me room to continue with the habbit.

I mainly hoard screws, nuts, and bolts(and what ever else I find laying around). I haunt the local parking lots and road shoulders. I'll pounce on a good bolt before I will a nickel. But hey, I rarely need a screw that I don't have.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Hoarding........ I have been known to carry back hardwood near my house. So far no luck with metal....