• Stanley sweetheart (new production)

6 6.25%
  • Ashley Iles

11 11.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New production chisels poll

New production chisels poll

Vote for your favorite new production bench chisel

The reason I ask about new, current production is that my experience with old rust is more miss than hit if you catch my drift.

Here are some I have been looking at...
    LN
    LV PM-V11
    LV O1
    Stanley sweetheart (new, not old)
    Sorby (new production)
    Stubai
    MHG
    Pfeil
    Ashley Iles
    Two Cherries/Hirsch

Thanks

John,

poll results are looking like the general consensus from magazines - editors and professional woodworkers as well as what you see people respond to favorably on forums...I would get a 1 Lie Nielsen and 1 Veritas and have fun...I did that and ended up having to like both a lot so have some sizes of both and haven't looked back.

I had Narex and The Blie Marples and hated both

I voted for the LV PM11 for the steel edge retention, but I have a set of the Ashley Isles and LN. I love the LN for their look and feel in my hand. I like all three sets. That said, I still enjoy using a number of my old steel chisels . For one thing they are available in wider versions than new sets. You might augment your new set sith a 1-1/2" and 2" vintage chisels.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

If you haven't learnt the basics on how to maintain a sharp edge on your chisels you'll likely see little return on your investment with the more expensive line of chisels currently on the market.

There's been a lot of discussion recently on the benefits of A2 steel with longevity of the edge when compared to more traditional 01 steel. What's not covered is the additional time it takes to sharpen an edge on A2, when compared to 01 steel.

Its most likely that the tests done comparing A2 to 01 steel are biased to favour better results with A2. A2 steel needs a secondary bevel within the range of 32 to 35 degrees to initiate an advantage over 01 steel on longevity of the cutting edge. What's never mentioned of course is the fact that you can raise the secondary bevel on 01 steel from its commonly used 28-30, to 32-35 degrees, and you will also experience a similar improvement on the longevity of the cutting edge. Enough said.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-09-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Of course longer edge retaining tools take longer to sharpen. There's no free lunch! They take longer to sharpen for the exact same reason they take longer to DULL: Abrasion resistance.

John, While most of us have an collection of odd, old and cheap chisels, there may be lots of folks like me who have experience with only one, or perhaps two of the flavors on your list. Therefore, it is not possible for me to cast a vote on my "favorite" in your list. However, I can easily cast a "very pleased with" vote. Would votes like that be useful to you?

My favorite is the set I bought
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    My favorite is the set I bought
    Me too. And they hadn't had any love yet in the poll so I voted for them (2C/H)

Well - so far, the Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley PM-V11 are way out in front.

The interesting thing to me about this is that both of these offerings are fairly new to the market... And they are aimed squarely at the top of the market with no apologies for price.

thanks

No Japanese chisels? They are the only newly produced ones I have.

Blog Entries
    John, While most of us have an collection of odd, old and cheap chisels, there may be lots of folks like me who have experience with only one, or perhaps two of the flavors on your list.
    This covers me and why my vote is an abstention. My "new" chisels are not on the list. Besides that they is nothing about them which is worth writing home. Some cheap Stanley chisels, some Sandvick (Bacho) chisels and a Buck Bros with a plastic handle.

You might augment your new set sith a 1-1/2" and 2" vintage chisels.
    +1 on having some wider chisels.

My 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" chisels see a lot of use. My 2" chisel is seldom used.

My most used 1-1/4" chisel is a Stanley 4xx series butt chisel. The bigger (longer) chisels are Greenlee, PS&W and Union branded.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I voted for the Messerschmidt made chisels...only because IF I were going to buy any NEW chisels, it would be from them. Otherwise, I would not have voted. My current "users" are the Aldis, a few Witherbys, a few Buck Brothers ( NOT from HD) and a few by Butcher. Mortise chisels are either a New Haven Edge Tool, a Japanese 12mm, and a Witherby 3/8"....The "wide chisel"( 1-1/2") is a Jennings. Have a couple drawers of "cheap" chisels I can loan out.........

mine are not listed

How can one vote unless you have used ALL the chisels nominated, and for enough time to be familiar with each?

I have sets of Veritas PM-V11 and O1, Blue Spruce A2, vintage Stanley 750 in O1 or W1 (not sure - anyone know?), Koyamaichi white steel, Kiyohisa white steel, plus Ray Iles in D2.

They are are all excellent, and all sharpen up well and easily. If I only had just one, I would still be satisfied and not look elsewhere. They were not accumulated owing to either greed or dissatisfaction (for example, the Veritas chisels came later after I had been field testing the O1 versions before they went into production), but I do admit that I love chisels and must stay on top of what could become a "chisel habit".

it is really nice to use a well-made chisel (any well made tool for that matter), but when the well-made chisel is dull, and you grab for a replacement, anything that gets the job done will do. At that point I do not care what is in my hand. Having said that, here are a few pros and cons of some of these chisels ...

Veritas: the PM versions are my go-to chisels. They live on my bench. Easy to hone and great edge-holding. The handles are very comfortable for me. I take the O1 versions to Woodshows when I demo making joints. They are identical to the PM but the O1 steel would be easier for some to hone (e.g. If you use oil stones).

LN/Stanley 750 - Similar in balance, these are really nice chisels. I have used the LN quite a bit (when demonstrating for LN at woodshows). The blades of my Stanley's were modified to have the fine lands as in the LN. My personal dislike is the handle for these chisels - just too small in my hand. This is a personal thing. I made custom handles for my Stanley's.

Blue Spruce: I purchased these when they first came out, so I have had them a long time now. Best looking and best handles in the business. The chisels are light and feel like an extension of one's hand. I bought them for dovetailing. They are not heavy duty enough for general bench work. Although A2, they take an excellent edge. Just don't chop with them as they will not hold the edge for long then. For pushing, they are like small paring chisels, and used this way they hold an excellent edge.

Kiyohisa: these are my long handled paring chisels. The best in the world, and I feel privileged to use them each time. They were a three year wait, which is now a six year wait. Damn, they are nice! Did I mention this?

Koyamaichi: I have dovetail chisels. I first heard about Koyamaichi when reading an article by David Charlesworth about 20 years ago. I looked for them, but they were not to be found. Eventually I found some, NOS from the mid 80's on the UK eBay, a dozen years ago. They took over as my Japanese bench chisels, which were/are for chopping into particularly hard woods when dovetailing. Several years ago, Stu (TFJ) came to me to say that he had become the agent for Koyamaichi, and knew of my fondness for this make. I had Mr Koyama make up three dovetail chisels in the smaller sizes with custom fine lands (apparently this was new for him at that time). These chisels are just excellent in every way. However, for those looking for a first time excellent chisel, they are different from Western chisels in that they are designed to be used with a gennou, and not pushed by hand.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 03-11-2017 at 9:31 PM.

LN are not at the top of the price range. That much for sure. In my opinion they are they affordable option in bench chisels... and very nice. However I sold my set to trade for pmv11..