Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Saw Prices

Track Saw Prices

I use and like a DeWalt track saw. I bought it because I wanted a long and short track and I though I was getting the lowest price when I bought it 5 years or more ago. I like to read reviews, however, and have seen several that ranked the Makita as the better buy. So I did some googling of prices.

A complicating factor is track costs. A track saw without a track isn't good for much so you pretty much have to have tracks. But the question is which one. I see two supportable arrangements. You can go with two tracks about 55 inches long and join them when you want to make a long cut. The shorter tracks are both cheaper and easier to store and transport. But joining them is an extra task and a choice of possible error if the joined tracks are not straight.

The other arrangement is a ~55 inch track and a more than 8 foot track. DeWalts is 102 inches, Makita's is 118 inches and Festool has the widest variety but for this analysis, I looked at their 106 inch track. The DeWalt's long track is available for $159, the Makita 118 goes for about $280 and the Festool 106 inch was $331 the one place I looked. Pretty big difference. Makita's 55 inch track is $75, DeWalt's 59 inch was $72.65 where I looked and Festool's 55 inch was $133.

So if we price up a long + mid length track and saw, the Makita is $690, the DeWalt $600 (in a combo kit) and the Festool $1124. But if we price up two mid length tracks + saw, the Makita is $537 (with two track connectors) and the DeWalt is $576.65 (with one track connector), Festool is still over $900.

So is the Makita cheaper? Only if you want two mid length tracks, not a long and short. Festool isn't close regardless.

Price is not everything, probably especially to Festool owners. But most reviews indicate the cut quality of these three is very, very similar. The Festool has less power too but also a lot more accessories available. I don't think there is a bad way to go with any of these. But I don't think it's supportable to say the Makita is cheaper unless you clearly state you are comparing a setup with two mid length tracks. Even then the price difference is not very large. With a long and mid length track DeWalt is cheaper.

Just for grins I also priced up a Grizzly. They don't have a long track but with two 55 inch, they have it for $320 (with two connectors and the accessory pack). The reviews I've seen say even with the same blade as the others the cut quality isn't quite as good. But if you need a saw and don't have $500-600, the Grizzly could be a useful addition.

I'm still happy with my DeWalt - as I said earlier - but it is a bit heavy at times and the blade change mechanism broke (admittedly I tapped on it with a mallet when it stuck). I removed the pieces that didn't work right and I think it's actually better now. Blade changes are much easier. But it clearly is not a perfect tool but it cuts very well and I think it was a good deal. But the Makita has advantages and is very similar in cost. Those who want the best can go for the Festool (or other even pricier options). Those on a tight budget can probably get by nicely with a Grizzly. Nice to have choices.

Hi Jim,
    For my needs, a single 55" track is fine. BORG sells the Makita + 55" track for $397. Just the Dewalt track saw is $428 + $73 for the 59" track. So for my needs, the Makita is cheaper.

I think it just depends on what you need......
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Those who want the best can go for the Festool (or other even pricier options).
    That would be the Mafell. Not the only important bit but Mafell has a system of track connection at produces a positive lock and dead straight rails everytime. The M55cc and two 63" rails will set you back about $1250.

The leg up Festool has over the rest is the integration of the entire system, I see it like a force multiplier. If you only buy one tool Festool takes a huge value hit, the more you own the better value it becomes. The Makita, Dewalt and Festool are all great tracksaws and if you aren't going to incorporate them into a "system" then pick the color you like best. Dewalt and Festool also have the option of a cordless version (assuming Dewalts is available now, not sure hen the release date is/was).
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

After resisting the track saw bug for years, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Dewalt with long & short tracks a couple years ago. Most of my use has been cutting up plywood but I also straight line some rough cut lumber from time to time. For this reason I wanted a saw with a riving knife which the Makita saw did not have. I believe Festool and Dewalt are the only tracksaws with a riving knife.

I spent a fair amount of time online shopping these (prices and reviews) and ended up with the Makita. I wouldn't disagree with anyone else's decision since in my opinion since the 3 you mentioned all are well received .
    I bought two 55" tracks with Festol connectors. I use the connectors all the time and have never had a problem with a straight edge so long as I set it up correctly.

I choose the Makita for the price, power, it connected to my HEPPA vac, and I could use the tacks for my router.

Blog Entries
    I went with the Makita and two 55" tracks a few years ago. I finally got the 118 about a month ago. IIRC the saw and single track were 399. The 55s have been as cheap as $65 on amazon and the 118 was as low as 219 with free shipping. I missed out on that and paid 248 shipped. I personally went with the Makita because it allows all the festool track accessories to be used.

One of the best things about a track saw is the ease in cutting tapers to fit not-so-straight walls. They are fast and easy in this regard.

But mine gets most use in breaking down plywood on top of some 2" rigid foam plopped down in my driveway.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The Festool comes with a 55" track included with the saw so the saw + long rail + mid rail price should be $991, not $1124. The saw + 2 mid rails + 2 connectors would be $829.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    I bought two 55" tracks with Festol connectors. I use the connectors all the time and have never had a problem with a straight edge so long as I set it up correctly.
    I have the Makita as well. I only have the single 55" track and would like a longer solution. I'm thinking I will get another 55" section and the connectors because of ease of storage and cost of the long track.

Why did you go with Festool connectors??
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I got a refurbished DeWalt from Tool King some years ago for $250. I added a 55" track for $63. I added another short track but found the connector a pain so I added the 102" track. The nice thing about Dewalt and Makita is around Christmas there is usually a $25 off $100 deal or something similar. I have always waited to around then to buy accessories. A friend of mine bought the Makita from Home Depot when they were closing out an older model. I don't remember what he paid for it though. The Makita has a better track to attach parallel guides and such. The Dewalt has a riving knife. Both cut wood the same.

I have the Makita, it has been fantastic. The only issue is that I was never able to connect two 55" sections and maintain precision. The rails are slightly different. I ended up going with a 118" rail and have been super happy with it.

I started out with the DeWalt. Bought all the tracks and all the accessories. Was a great saw and good track saw system. Sold it all together as a bundle (for exactly what I paid for it new amazingly enough) and bought the Festool after I decided I wanted to buy into their system. Definitely dont miss the DeWalt.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have the Dewalt with both the short and long tracks.

In the five years I've owned it, I have only used the long track once, to do a rip cut on an ikea slab countertop. And I only did that because my shop is not at my house. If it was, I would've just used my table saw.

Theoretically, the long track would be useful to do straight-line rips on long pieces of rough-sawn hardwood, but I haven't come across a case when I needed to do so on a piece that long. I cut the material down into rough lengths before milling, so I'd have to be building a pretty giant piece of furniture to ever have a need to do such a thing... in which case, it's really not hard to simply reposition the short track once or twice to complete the cut. It won't be perfectly straight, but straight-line ripping is an intermediate milling step for me; I will take it to the jointer after the rip cut anyway (regardless of which track I use).

The other potential use is to do 8' rips on a sheet of plywood. But the vast majority of the time when I'm breaking down sheet goods, it makes more sense to do my cross cuts first. The only exception was when I was cutting sheathing for my house and cutting subfloor... which are rough construction work and don't require the precision of a continuous track.

On the flip side, it's a pain to store the thing. It takes up a lot of wall space. So for me and the work I do, in hindsight the value is just not there. Now that I think through this, I should probably sell the darn thing. YMMV of course!

I did the same math maybe 5-6 years ago. I was leaning heavily towards the Makita as it was the lowest cost of entry. I didn't make a conscious decision to buy into the system - it was more of a "might as well try this Festool thing I've heard so much about" and "YOLO!" sentiment. The system sucked me right in though and it has been worth it as a whole, though not necessarily if analyzed on a tool-by-tool basis for some of the tools.

As many have said, if your decision is just about the tracksaw, it may make more sense to head in a different direction from Festool. The markup on many Festool accessories - particularly those that are not unique or distinctly well-engineered (the guide rails being one) - can be difficult to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    One of the best things about a track saw is the ease in cutting tapers to fit not-so-straight walls. They are fast and easy in this regard.

But mine gets most use in breaking down plywood on top of some 2" rigid foam plopped down in my driveway.
    Agreed. Track saw makes cutting tapers a piece of cake.