Thread: Knew Concepts vs. TFWW 12" Bow Saw

Knew Concepts vs. TFWW 12" Bow Saw

The Knew Concepts' saws are interesting and maybe a slight improvement over traditional fret and coping saws. Being able to turn the blade in the fret saw without using a pair of "dikes" to twist it is a great improvement but in use I find there is little difference between the two. Both use the same blades, both are slow cutting with a short throw. Breaking blades in either isn't a problem with good technique. Of the two, Knew Concepts fret or traditional fret saws, I will pick up the traditional about as often as the Knew Concepts, usually the one first on the turning saw rack is the one that gets the love.

I do not have a Knew Concepts coping saw so I can't address if it is an improvement over a Olsen coping saw but with a few mods to the Olsen I can get all the tension needed and the blade will not turn unless I make it. With a coping saw the blades are too thick to fit in my dovetail saw kerf, it limits the saws use for removing waste from dovetails and as with the fret saw the throw is too short for efficient sawing. Whatever, the cost difference between the saws (Olsen $13 USD, Knew Concepts $149 USD) would make it difficult to justify the Knew Concepts for so little potential gain.

The jewel of my turning saws is the TFWW 12" Bow Saw. Its blade is almost as thin as a fret saw blade, it has a 12" throw vs. a 5" throw with either a coping or fret saw. The bow saw makes very quick work of sawing dovetail waste, much faster than either a fret or coping saw. Because of its narrow blade it is almost as easy to turn as a fret saw and much easier than a coping saw. At $169 USD vs. $95 USD for the Knew Concepts coping saw or $149 USD for the Aluminum fret saw the 12" bow saw is a better saw for little more money and is a bargain compared to the Titanium ones.

As always with anything wood....YMMV.

I have the knew concepts titanium saw and am thinking the bow saw nut make a worthwhile addition to the fleet. I am working on the power tool side of the workshop at the moment and want to get back to the hand tool side.

Blog Entries
    I have both saws. I cannot achieve the tension on the bow saw that I can on the coping saw. I don't really find them to be interchangeable.
    I bought the kit and made my bow saw. I made it using curly maple. I broke one of the legs on the bow saw and replaced it with qs white oak.
    I would not want to be without either saw.

I thought long and hard on this bow saw. At the end bandsaw. It was a wise decision. For coping and fret saw. I am fine with handtools.

*Bowsaw to cut lumber is a league on it's own. I will keep mine.*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I thought long and hard on this bow saw. At the end bandsaw. It was a wise decision. For coping and fret saw. I am fine with handtools.

*Bow saw to cut lumber is a league on it's own. I will keep mine.*
    Some consider the band saw to be an extension of hand tools.

Would clear cherry with straight grain be strong enough for making a bow saw? This thread made me look at the Grammercy saw and now I HAVE to make one. Thanks for that guys!$@#!

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Some consider the band saw to be an extension of hand tools.
    Even going so far, in some circles, as to give it the nickname "Neanderbuddy."

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    Would clear cherry with straight grain be strong enough for making a bow saw? This thread made me look at the Grammercy saw and now I HAVE to make one. Thanks for that guys!$@#!

Allen,

Try it and see but I expect it will split. There will likely be some short grain near the top of the saw right where there is the most stress. My experience with Cherry is that it splits very easily.

ken

So. . . hickory it is then. I may turn the handles out of cherry or maple since it is a little hard to find 1-1/4" hickory locally. Thank you for the insight!

No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    So. . . hickory it is then. I may turn the handles out of cherry or maple since it is a little hard to find 1-1/4" hickory locally. Thank you for the insight!

Allen,

Several years ago I made an arm out of Beech, it has held up very well. Handles and the tightening thingy out of Cherry would be very nice.

BTW, Beech is a lot easier to work than Hickory.

ken