Thread: Super Dusty Deputy XL Mating question/problem

Super Dusty Deputy XL Mating question/problem

So the Super Dusty Deputy XL is just a hair smaller inside diameter than the outside diameter of my DC 6" port. So I bought a rubber Fernco coupling to mate the 2 together.

The problem I have, and don't even know if it is a problem or not, is that it's about 3/8 to 7/16 larger on all sides than the port. I can run it up snug and it seals pretty well, however I can still reach my finger inbetween the rubber coupling and the DC. It will be the same on the other side where the Dust Deputy is. In the pictures you can see I can slide my finger tips inside.

Question is:

Is this even a problem or am I over thinking it? I'm thinking sawdust could get trapped in there or the suction could create some kind of opposing effect on the unit. Or does it even really matter? I could put weather stripping around it to seal the crack or even silicone but didn't know if that lip would cause an issue.

I am literally at the top of my height for the room so I can't use any types of fittings between and I was trying to use this piece of rubber to hold it tight so it stays put when I lower the barrel out from underneath. I could use flex hose but then I'll have the weight of the Super Dust Deputy and lid hanging from the flex hose when I empty it. Didn't know if that would damage the flex hose over time.20170309_212243 (Small).jpg20170309_212335 (Small).jpg

This seems to be the only damn rubber coupling on the market as I can't find anything else.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Simple, inexpensive (free?) coupler- use a section of inner tube and band clamps. You can probably get one for free from a tire shop.

That is what I used to connect the filters in my shop to the outlet of my cyclone in the garage below:

My cyclone is configured as a "push-through"

If the difference between the Deputy and your DC port is so small, I'm surprised you haven't been able to find a Fernco coupling that's a better fit than the one you're showing. They have a large range and generally are a fairly snug slide on fit - certainly no room for fingers. For example https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-d...s-1055/1055-55

Allen's suggestion is a good one. Would cut a strip of inner tube, wrap till it is the right size, put a circle of duct tape, slip on the pipe and fasten it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Allen's suggestion is a good one. Would cut a strip of inner tube, wrap till it is the right size, put a circle of duct tape, slip on the pipe and fasten it.
    The inner car inner tube I used was small enough that I could use a section as a tubular sleeve that I slipped over both ducts. Since it was short, the slight curvature wasn't a factor. I didn't use a flat piece so didn't need to do any wrapping, though if you can't find a small enough used tube, wrapping should work too.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-10-2017 at 1:34 PM.

Based on what you described, if it's as close to fitting as you described, you might be able to just heat up the SDD with a heat gun and slide your DC inlet into it while it's still soft. Might help to chamfer the inner lip of the SDD with a file to assist with slipping the impeller inlet into it while it's hot.

Andy's suggestion is the best suited for my needs. The reason I couldn't find a better coupling is the one that actually fits is considered a 5" coupling. Really weird. Anyways I have 2 on order so thanks for all your help guys.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.