Thread: Tea House Table and Chair - Complete

Blog Entries

Tea House Table and Chair - Complete

Good morning!

I've completed the Tea house table and chair build, finishing the documentation of my process on my blog;

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...hair-complete/

I hope you'll have a read, and I look forward to your comments.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

While reading through your post and gawking at the level of design detail and creativity (not to mention the execution of said intricate design), one thought kept coming back to mind... "This guy's good. This guy's REALLY good!"

Thanks for the lesson. I feel like I've been thinking inside the proverbial box for a while now and you've blown the lid off!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Will, I appreciate your kindness! I am so glad to see a positive reception of my design, I was a bit nervous of course after putting so many hours into the design and in doing so one always second guesses every decision.

My pleasure! Sometimes it just takes a really wonderful client to get you outside of the box, both very supportive and encouraging of pushing design boundaries.

The joinery on the seat and arms is just dreamy man. That is the kinda stuff i day dream about.

This one is on a different level from even your 'normal' work. Really beautiful design. I think I'd be equally in admiration if I saw this in Nakashima House.

Brian, Your blogging skills are first rate; clear, useful and concise. Thanks for sharing so actively and effectively. Your chair is an interesting collection of different, familiar chair styles pulled into a unique design. The joinery is a classically Holcombe puzzlework. The joint where the arm support meets the seat seems to have evolved along the way, as you tell the tale. Or did you execute as you had initially envisioned it? It is simply devious in its ingenuity. The aesthetic appeals to me, but I have to say, my mind's eye wants the legs to splay out to the sides. Then as soon as I tell myself that, another voice in my head says no -- This is a solid base built for a reason and works well. Who can argue with vertical, solid boards? Not to get all oriental, but the windsoresque upper and theater seat lower makes for some yin/yang conflict and harmony. The conflict (to my eye) is what makes the chair sing out loud, while its joinery is like poetry that warrants re-reading. That must have been fun to build, deliver. Were you able to enjoy a cup of tea in your chair, in its home? First rate table and chair. Thanks again for explaining how you built them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    The joinery on the seat and arms is just dreamy man. That is the kinda stuff i day dream about.
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    This one is on a different level from even your 'normal' work. Really beautiful design. I think I'd be equally in admiration if I saw this in Nakashima House.
    Thanks Prashun! That means a lot to me as I grew up admiring Nakashima's work (from teenage years on).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Brian, Your blogging skills are first rate; clear, useful and concise. Thanks for sharing so actively and effectively. Your chair is an interesting collection of different, familiar chair styles pulled into a unique design. The joinery is a classically Holcombe puzzlework. The joint where the arm support meets the seat seems to have evolved along the way, as you tell the tale. Or did you execute as you had initially envisioned it? It is simply devious in its ingenuity. The aesthetic appeals to me, but I have to say, my mind's eye wants the legs to splay out to the sides. Then as soon as I tell myself that, another voice in my head says no -- This is a solid base built for a reason and works well. Who can argue with vertical, solid boards? Not to get all oriental, but the windsoresque upper and theater seat lower makes for some yin/yang conflict and harmony. The conflict (to my eye) is what makes the chair sing out loud, while its joinery is like poetry that warrants re-reading. That must have been fun to build, deliver. Were you able to enjoy a cup of tea in your chair, in its home? First rate table and chair. Thanks again for explaining how you built them.
    Thanks Bill! Often I start with a very basic idea of what I want to build, especially so in this case having not made a chair previously. So, I knew a very basic format of what I wanted but needed to work out the joinery as I went. It's not uncommon for me to sit and stare at my work in the late evening hours or while resharpening my tools to think about how some of things are going to come together. There are days when it feels like every waking moment is spent fretting over details, then it comes together when I've put it out of the forefront of my mind and moved onto something else. That was the real reason for my putting the chair aside to work on the table (straightforward since I had built it before) about halfway through the build, I was drained of creative thought and new it was time to refresh.

It's funny that you mention a splay, I drew it on paper about 10 times and could not get it to look right, same with toe-out, and eventually decided just to put them on straight and upright as I had originally designed and I think it came together fairly well. Sometimes with design work, I find that my instincts are incredibly valuable. If my gut says no, then I change it, but if my gut is unsure, then I go with my original plan.

It was a very enjoyable build, and for an absolutely wonderful client.

Superb work, very clean lines! Do you design on a computer or is it mostly sketches and in your head?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Reinis, I use both. I prefer to put ideas on paper, then work out the details on a full scale drawing. With the exception to tables, which I just use the computer because I find it easier to scale them to real size.

once more a wonderful blog post Brian. The detailed descriptions and the clear pictures of all open and hidden joinery is very inspirational. Bed time in Germany now, and I'm so eager to cut some joints tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time. Already looking forward to your next post.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Oscar! Glad to hear that you find it inspirational!

Brian, again really superior work!!!!
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jerry!

Precise work as usual Brian! I found the almost sharp angular look to the chair a bit of a surprise. I try to imagine sitting in it and tucking my legs under the sides and what that would feel like. I presume in use you kneel then pull the chair under you from behind, which is why you have the brass slides. Having achieved this position at the table I can see why you have tea served to you!

Blog Entries
    Thanks William! Not so much, rather one would simply sit down, unlike a dining chair where you might pull the chair up to the table instead this is more like one would interact with a coffee table and lounge chair. It's low enough that it would be unlikely or at least very uncomfortable to put your legs under the chair.