Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a riving knife in a track saw?

Do I need a riving knife in a track saw?

Hi guys,
    I didnt want to hijack the other thread on track saws that is under discussion...

I was sold on the Makita track saw. Then someone commented in the other thread that the Dewalt has a riving knife. I expect to use this track saw to break down sheet goods, but I may occasionally use it to rip cut solid lumber. Do you folks find that a riving knife is really needed on a track saw?

Thank you!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have a DeWalt, and I don't think I would be concerned with it jumping the track if the wood pinched, but with solid wood the riving knife might keep it from pinching the blade and stalling out. Another way to avoid pinching on a high tension board would be to shove a shim or two in the kerf as you go. I have had to do this on my TS lately, as I have run into a batch of wood with enough tension that it would pinch on the riving knife so hard I could not push the wood through.

Here is where I mention that I have never ripped lumber with my track saw, just used it on sheet goods. Zero real experience.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-10-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Riving knife- yes, in any and all saws you can get one on.

If one is 100% sheet goods it is likely a non-issue, for ripping hardwood I would prefer to have it. It is interesting to note the Mafell has no riving knife and is generally considered a better saw then the Festool but it wouldn't be my choice for ripping hardwood.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I have the Grizz version, and the riving knife gets in the way during a plunge cut, like a sink cut out. You can't plunge straight down, you need to let the saw do the work, otherwise you will push the blade against the riving knife and get sparks. I don't see why you would want a riving knife on any saw where the blade is buried. Otherwise, why not for circular saws? Table saws, of course.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-10-2017 at 4:15 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have the Grizz version, and the riving knife gets in the way during a plunge cut, like a sink cut out. You can't plunge straight down, you need to let the saw do the work, otherwise you will push the blade against the riving knife and get sparks. I don't see why you would want a riving knife on any saw where the blade is buried. Otherwise, why not for circular saws? Table saws, of course.
    With the Festool you can plunge straight down no issues. It has indexing makes on the side of the housing that show you the limits of the blade so you just like the back mark for the cutout to the back index mark on the saw and cut until the front index mark on the saw meets the line for the line for the other end of the cut, you can also use the limit stops on the rail so you don't have to look when you cut. The Dewalt works in the same manner, I just can remember if they included the index marks on the housing.

The riving knife is more of less useless for sheet goods but can be a serious safety precaution in solid wood just like on the table saw, assuming it is properly engineered.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-10-2017 at 5:07 PM.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Need? Well I guess maybe not. I sure wouldnt want to be without one. Just in case kinda thing.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I agree with the other comments and would also note the DeWalt also has an additional roller to prevent the saw going backward on the track. That is another safety feature I believe the Makita lacks. The Makita depth of cut is also 1/16 greater if I remember right. And the feature to keep the saw on the track when you are cutting at an angle seems like a good idea. I truly don't think either is a bad choice. I've done plunge cuts with my DeWalt and the riving knife did not get in the way. The blade projects below the riving knife so you cut a space for it as you plunge. Both the Makita and DeWalt have router attachments (as does the Festool) which I find handy on my DeWalt.

Really, what would happen without a riving knife?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Really, what would happen without a riving knife?
    If the wood pinches the blade it will throw the back of the saw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Carles View Post
    Riving knife- yes, in any and all saws you can get one on.
    ?????

My panel saw came with one. It came off in the first day of operation. It serves zero purpose in that scenario.

As far as in a hand held circular saw, plunge cuts would be tricky, unless I'm missing something.

My Festool TS55EQ has one.
    The circular saw & shop made guide it replaced didn't have one.
    The relief from the aggravation ( and ruined pieces of uber-expensive hardwood plywood) has been well worth the increase in cost.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

For saw in track on sheet goods, IMO riving knife is completely non essential and verging on useless appendage. I have used every major brand, own the makita, have used it in 2" thick counter slabs and sink plunges, not a problem. I like the festool with the spring loaded riving knife but not for the extra hundreds of dollars. For freehand rips in hardwood...get another saw! I'm not pushing my $$$ track saw into that scenario anyway. I've taken to using a cordless skill saw, most of them have torque limiters so if they get stuck they stop, not kick back in your face like a corded electric. I've broken down 6/4 jatoba with my cordless with ease, the would have been frankly frightening with a corded saw. I like a riving knife on every scenario possible where the connection between wood an saw is not fixed, like table saw, and I like them on the panel saw too, but a track guided saw does not suffer from that problem.
    If you do plunge cuts a more useful item is the travel limiters that go on the track as a starting point, because riving knife or not, if you turn that plunge cut into climb cut, which is real easy to do, that saw comes back to great you...DAMHIK!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    ?????

My panel saw came with one. It came off in the first day of operation. It serves zero purpose in that scenario.

As far as in a hand held circular saw, plunge cuts would be tricky, unless I'm missing something.
    Festool's track saws have a spring loaded riving knife. I didn't know that until a few weeks ago when I needed to make a plunge cut, went to remove it, then noticed it's spring loaded. Harumph! Saved me a few minutes of tool work.

i don't know about other brands.

I left the riving knife on my panel saw - only for those long rips to keep the material from falling on the blade. I can easily loosen and slide it back if it's in the way.

Peter, where the hell have you been?
    -Lud

I must have the older Festool saw. Mine is not spring loaded & it's a real pain to do a plunge cut in plywood..