Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elevating projects

Blog Entries
    People have done some clever things with the little HF or Grizzly hydraulic tables as the "engine".

4060950282_8bdcc42950.jpg4060949990_05951b48c7.jpg183383.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

​I use an old kitchen table I found at a garage sale for $5.

I have that HF cart that Brian linked to.
    I bought it to put a 350 lb wall oven in, and I've used it a lot in the shop. It also lines up with my truck bed, very useful. Ikept the handle though .

If you want breakdown/storage capability you might take a look at the Trojan saw horse https://www.amazon.com/Trojan-TS-27-...jan+saw+horses. Picked up some of these in a taller size and they can be very versatile as well. When not in use, you disconnect them from the wooden crossmember and the fold up to a very small size.

Clint

didnt read it all totally agree, at one point I was using a roll around welded up say 16" off the ground approx and sitting on a mechanics roll around seat, it was better. Then last time like the photo shown did the beams on horses, what a difference for fitting doors and drawer fronts on a vanity. Main thing is check it all for level so stuff is not racked

This video from Down to Earth Woodworker might be something for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-rfBtZVeC8

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Backner View Post
    If you want more in the way of convenience, mimic what the ergonomic gurus in industry do - use an adjustable height workstand. You're obviously not going to need a 10,000# capacity welding positioning table with a built in turntable, but most home shop projects could be accommodated by a rolling lift table from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...art-61405.html

or:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...art-61405.html

If you are working on something really big, or heavy, use two of these stands and bridge them with a work surface made of 2x4's and plywood.
    If the one you get is anything like mine, the top is crowned and while it lifts easily, the surface is useless to work on. You would have to custom make a flat surface for it. It's not something I would buy again.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I am in the same boat as you and plan on building the Woodsmith plans stacking saw horses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a Festool MFT/3 folds easily and has loads of features, if I'm working on a large price, I roll an adjustable height stand under it.

I have been looking at the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift, and thinking about building a 3x6 torsion box table for it.

Have you (or seen someone) do this? My last project required too much time on my knees.

Lornie

I bought a 600 pound capacity hydraulic table that lifts to about 50" high.

I'm in the process of modifying it so the handle can be permanently removed. I need to convert the hand control that lowers it (mounted on the handle) to some type of foot pedal.

That way the handle won't be in the way..............Rod.

Alan,

I have built several custom tops for my hydraulic tables over the years to accommodate various projects. I normally fasten a couple pieces of angle iron to the sides of the table and use these to attach whatever style top I need rather than fastening directly to the (flat) horizontal sheet metal top. This also keeps me from having to drill through the table top over and over. If you can weld a 2" square tube (receiver hitch) to the end of the angle iron pieces you have a great way to mount a variety of metal and woodworking vises, buffing motors, sanders, etc and take advantage of the quick and easy height adjustment.

There is a woodworker who does excellent video's on YouTube, his channel is Ishitani Furniture. He has a workbench that is made using a hydraulic lift table similar to those you can purchase at Harbor Freight. It appears he has a wooden benchtop and vise built on top of this lift table. The video was released three weeks ago on February 18. The video title is Making a Bench and Chairs. The table shows up around the 7:45 mark in his video. Pretty cool. Check out all his videos, he has a cool shop, nice machines and his work is stellar.

Guys, thanks alot for all the ideas. For some reason I'm not getting any Emails for any of my subscribed threads all set to Instant Email?? The thing most of these miss on is the "keeping in mind they need to be collapsible or stored in one another" part VERY limited space for any of the lifts which I would get in a heartbeat if space was no object.