Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for moving Grizzly 1023rlwx from curb to basement...

I've rented a lectro truck before - they're the bees knees for stairs!

I'm telling you, a handtruck with pneumatic tires is all you need. Dealing with renting a PJ, laying the plywood down over and over, etc, is a waste of time and effort. If you're super nervous about it, use a P handled hand truck and you can tip it all the way back and use the handle as a stabilizer and guide it down the grassy hill.

Or give the driver $20 (or more) and he'll do it, likely with his handtruck.

Last time I had a LTL truck show up, the guy unloaded it, I handed him a cold drink and he offered to move it into my shop. I didn't ask, he just asked where I wanted it. I tipped him for the service, but he expected that's what he was going to do.

Good lord there is a lot of complications envisioned here

First off, have a tarp on hand in case it is raining on delivery day and you need to leave it in the driveway for a few days.

Carry the 75 pound fence carton separately.

Cut away the carton from around the saw. Remove both wings and all hardware - now you are down to 300 or slightly more pounds.

Remove bolts holding it to the pallet if any. 'walk' it off the pallet. Tip it up slightly and slip a hand truck with large inflatable tires underneath one edge. Ratchet strap or otherwise tie it to the hand truck.

Roll it around the house and through the door.

I've made exactly this move plus going down 7 concrete steps for every machine in my shop. The 20" planer needed extra help. The 3 hp Unisaw had a helper for the part going down the stairs just for safety but I basically did it myself. Every other item less than 300 pounds was done alone. Really not that big a deal. Except the planer, that was a brute .

I have had maybe 10 large tools delivered and the truck driver was always willing to take it as far as a pallet jack would take it.
    From there I take them apart. If you take the table and motor off, then nothing is particularly heavy; two people can easily carry it.

Five years ago i sold my 1023 with a router and overhead guard installed. I gave the guy advice on how to take it apart, but he brushed me aside. Two of them just carried it out completely assembled. Half way out the door, one of them screams in pain and drops it. He took a 5 minute break, and then continued to carry it to their truck. i would recommend against their method.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Newsom View Post
    I'm going to be taking delivery of a new Grizzly 1023rlwx table saw in short order. After contacting Grizzly directly, I now understand that the shipment is actually via Freight (with liftgate service) --- so they will deliver the unit to my street curbside via 18 wheeler, then lower it to the pavement via hydraulic liftgate. At that point, it's my responsibility to move it the rest of the way.

That's where my question arises. How to get the unit from the curbside, up a (relatively flat) driveway), then around the side of my yard (sloped downward heading from front to back), across about 30-40 ft of back yard (soft grass and dirt, inclined downward), and into the basement through the door.

Total weight listed on Grizzly site is 509 Lbs. Would love to hear suggestions from anyone who has experience moving such a big tool. My first thought is a furniture dolly with ratchet straps, and using plywood "ramps" to transport it across the soft surface of my back yard. Is this off base?
    I bought a cheap HF cart with the big pneumatic wheels. If the grade is really sloped, set up a rope mechanical advantage to help keep it at a low velocity.

Me and 3 other guys just picked up a 500lb planer and walked it around the house to the basement door. Took less than 5 minutes with 2 stops in between to breath. Once in the basement I was able to roll it to where I wanted it and we all had a beer after. Honestly, if you have the help, just carry it. Even at 500 pounds, that's only 125lb per person to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    Me and 3 other guys just picked up a 500lb planer and walked it around the house to the basement door. Took less than 5 minutes with 2 stops in between to breath. Once in the basement I was able to roll it to where I wanted it and we all had a beer after. Honestly, if you have the help, just carry it. Even at 500 pounds, that's only 125lb per person to handle.
    If you are going to carry it, a set of Forearm Forklift carrying harnesses and two people should be able to easily manage it all the way across the lawn and down the stairs. They're rated for 800lbs. Even cheaper than a big tire hand truck.
    I've carried a 600lb solid oak hutch with just the Forearm Forklifts and no harness, and with another healthy sized guy it was not bad.
    Last edited by Garth Almgren; 03-13-2017 at 1:31 PM.
    ~Garth

Forearm forklifts are the bomb. I have never carried a table saw with them but many other things

This might be more than you wish to tackle but when I moved my G1023 to the basement I removed the top and motor. Pay attention to where shims are placed between the top and cabinet. I'm pretty sure the top was the heaviest part, heavier than the motor. The cabinet wasn't bad at all.

Do you have a riding mower/garden tractor? Back in the day when I lived on 12 acres with a 1400' long driveway​, I moved all kinds of stuff around on a redneck sled made out of a 4x8 sheet of treated plywood ��. Those Dolly's tip rather easy with a bulky heavy load, plus you are still carrying much of the weight. The sled gets you the lowest center of gravity possible. I carriage bolted a 2x4 to the 4' edge of the plywood in about 6 places, then drilled thru the 2x4 to accept a pair of ubolts. A suitable chain or strap and a low attachment point on your rider and away you go.
    I agree with previous replies regarding back and joint saving disassembly for the stairs. I have, on a couple occasions, moved a fully assembled tablesaw down basement steps, but they were straight shot steps to the bottom. I turned it upside down, slid it down on 2x4's laid on the steps, controlling the forces of gravity from up top with a strap.
    Good luck, congratulations on the purchase, you'll love that saw.

Did you get your saw yet? If so how did it go?

nobody mention beer I have a lot of help with beer in the cooler afterward, check out your local rent center

JS -

Yes, sorry no updates. Got the saw Wednesday. Spent the better part of 3 days getting it set up (mostly due to being out of shape and taking my sweet time).

Fired it up this weekend for a few small tasks - some 8/4 walnut, which it chewed through like a mule chewing briars. I think we're going to get along just fine.