Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for moving Grizzly 1023rlwx from curb to basement...

Advice for moving Grizzly 1023rlwx from curb to basement...

I'm going to be taking delivery of a new Grizzly 1023rlwx table saw in short order. After contacting Grizzly directly, I now understand that the shipment is actually via Freight (with liftgate service) --- so they will deliver the unit to my street curbside via 18 wheeler, then lower it to the pavement via hydraulic liftgate. At that point, it's my responsibility to move it the rest of the way.

That's where my question arises. How to get the unit from the curbside, up a (relatively flat) driveway), then around the side of my yard (sloped downward heading from front to back), across about 30-40 ft of back yard (soft grass and dirt, inclined downward), and into the basement through the door.

Total weight listed on Grizzly site is 509 Lbs. Would love to hear suggestions from anyone who has experience moving such a big tool. My first thought is a furniture dolly with ratchet straps, and using plywood "ramps" to transport it across the soft surface of my back yard. Is this off base?
    Last edited by Bobby Newsom; 03-11-2017 at 4:23 PM.

If the backyard is soft enough to require plywood ramps, do yourself a favor and borrow/rent a pallet jack (or buy one off of CraigsList - they show up all the time - I got mine for $50, though I had to put a new o-ring in the hydraulic cylinder - for 15 cents). Most machines I have seen from Grizzly ship on an integrated pallet base, so this should work very well for you. If you do choose to use a dolly, you have to figure out how to get the saw on, and off, said dolly. With a pallet jack, you just slide the forks into the existing "slot" in the base, jack it up and take off. I have all of my heavy stuff on custom designed bases that can accommodate their use and it makes moving/rearranging almost easy. My heaviest woodworking machine is a Crescent P24 planer (at 3,000# +) and I can move it with relative ease.

BB-

If using a pallet jack, would it be necessary to use plywood ramps (or something that provides a sturdy surface) when transporting over the soft grass/dirt?

Bobby,

For a regular pallet jack, that would be a yes. There are all terrain PJs, but the wheels are too large to use with most pallets, i.e., they don't fit under the slots in the base. I would suggest you use three sheets of plywood - at least 5/8' thick - so you can move 16 feet at a time. Don't simply butt the plywood end to end - the wheels will find the tiniest crack between sheets and push them apart. Overlap the sheets by at least 3 or 4" and orient them so the wheels are dropping onto the next sheet as opposed to needing to pull the load up onto the next one - that is also likely to shift the next sheet. I have a gravel driveway and I keep three pieces of ratty old 3/4" CDX around just for "driveway duty."

If you have a recurring need, and want to spend the money, an all terrain "straddle" jack like this can be a back saver:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8148_200648148

There are even gasoline powered versions that can handle really heavy loads:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8186_200648186
    Last edited by Brian Backner; 03-11-2017 at 8:10 AM. Reason: added info on all-terrain models

It's just a cabinet saw. A standard handtruck (I prefer pneumatic tires especially for grass/dirt) works fine. Don't forget to put a ratchet strap around it which will keep it on the HT and help for the initial tip onto the wheels.

I wish all I had to do was bring equipment around the house into the basement - I've got stairs to deal with! And even then, all I use is a handtruck. Done it 5 times now with different cabinet saws.

This is great information. Thank you very much for your detailed responses BB.

I've been looking on Youtube, and I've found some ideas as well. It looks like the pallet jack and thick plywood is going to be the best option. (And great advice about overlapping the plywood sheets too).

I saw one Youtube video that shows a fellow transporting a 600+ Lb 15-inch planer around the back of his house in a similar way I'll need to do with the table saw. Once he gets to the basement door, he creates a ramp using 2 plywood strips (about 6" wide and a few feet in length each), then creates about 6-8 "rollers" using 1.25" dowels, about 6" in length each. The idea is to put the rollers between the pallet and the plywood ramps, and just roll the whole unit through the door. Similar to how the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids - by rolling each huge stone up the side ramp.

Thanks again for the feedback.

MD -

I could do the stairs, but they are narrow and very steep, and there are multiple turns (in a very cramped space) at the bottom of the stairs leading to the basement. Even if this last point weren't true, the idea of moving this unit down steep stairs makes my back hurt just in contemplation.

Pallet jack and plywood is a solid plan, if you can't find a pallet jack cheap I've managed to use furniture dollys as well. Don't forget the magic that can happen by tipping the delivery guy, I've found a lot of the freight guys more than willing to help get stuff up to the door or as close as safely possible.

By the time you take the wings, fence, and misc. parts off, the saw is very manageable with a 2 wheel hand truck.

For moving heavy things up and down basement/bulkhead steps, I found one of these on CraigsList for $200 several years ago. I was able to take an 800# lathe down, and up again, by myself with it:

http://www.lectrotruck.com/1268e-specs.html

These things also have available balloon tires for rolling over lawn areas and an attachment that adds a second pair of tires so it can be locked into a stable 45 degree tilt for moving things long distances more easily. They do take some getting used to on stairs - I practiced using a bunch of barbell plates and cinder blocks before I moved the lathe.

If you have a buddy that installs /services furnaces and boilers for a living, he or she is very likely to have one of these things. A case of beer could probably even get the owner to come along and help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morey View Post
    Pallet jack and plywood is a solid plan, if you can't find a pallet jack cheap I've managed to use furniture dollys as well. Don't forget the magic that can happen by tipping the delivery guy, I've found a lot of the freight guys more than willing to help get stuff up to the door or as close as safely possible.
    +1 on this plan.

Before my Grizzly delivery, I was contacted by the freight company. I asked if the driver would mind if I used his pallet jack for a while and was told that this was pretty standard procedure.

Have everything ready to go when he gets there and have a $20 bill handy. You'll probably get the help you need and then some. These guys move heavy stuff for a living and they are good at what they do.

Blog Entries
    Another suggestion if a pallet jack proves elusive or costly to rent. If you are going to lay a plywood (or other) pathway anyway, just have someone watch over the boxes at the curb, un-crate it and move it in a few trips with a regular hand truck or refer-dolly(?)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am a LTL driver and as long as there are no bumps or curbs over about 1 inch he should bring it up the driveway anyway.
    If you do not already have a pallet jack I would not buy/rent a pallet jack.
    I would buy a hand truck like this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...800P/100030159 with the
    pneumatic tires you can go on the grass dirt fine with out putting anything down.
    I do not think the saw will be fully assembled so just take it in pieces with a hand truck should not be very hard.
    just the base then the top being separate should be light enough.

I do not have model numbers memorized from any company
    If this is a bandsaw remove the table and do not lift by the table. If it is top heavy maybe lie it down. Better suggestions might come if I knew what is is. A drill press easy enough to remove the head.
    That is not too heavy for one guy to move, downhill.

You are correct and on track. Wheeled dolly or furniture cart will usually suffice for this weight, perhaps a pallet jack if readily available, wooden ramps and sill transitions, occasionally block & tackle, depending upon slopes encountered. The mechanical advantage of inclined plane, roller and wheel is your friend. Don't forget to keep wheel chocks handy or an active wheel lock, and an extra set of helping hands with a strong back will surely prove useful.