Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domestic (Northeastern USA) substitute for European Pearwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Recchione View Post
    Where should I post my pictures and "design"?
    This is encouraging! I've read about these little forges before but never talked to someone who actually made one.

I have propane, mapp, and oxy-acetylene. I quit using the oxy-acetylene for cutting and welding a few years ago when I got a heli-arc welder and a plasma cutter. It might be the best to use with the right burner. I already have a pile of fire bricks.

I would love to see some pictures and hear more and I think others might too. Probably the Metalworking forum would be a good place for this, although woodturners and others who make tools could be interested. Thank you!

JKJ

John - I just posted it on the Metalworking forum. Hope you find it useful!

Mike, if you're still looking for swiss pear I have quite a bit of it in my stash of wood. No longer making furniture, just banjos, don't need all this wood anymore!

I've sent you a PM.

Richard

Hi Richard, I didn't get your PM. I sent you one this morning, but I may be having a PM problem. If you didn't get my message, let me know on this thread, and we'll find some other way to connect. I am definitely interested!

Mike, I got your PM and replied. Also sent you an email thru SMC. Something should get thru to you....

I think I already mentioned that I had Nigerian pear. MUCH harder than Swiss pear. Swiss pear is softer than cherry. But,none of the pear I have used is as hard as Northern maple.

I can't recall where I bought Nigerian pear 50 years ago. Might have been from Unicorn Lumber in Canada. They seemed to send me the WORST of their selection,knowing I was too far away to send it back. But,the pear was in several large planks. It was used for harpsichord jacks. Pear's main virtue seems to be that it doesn't shrink or swell much.

I have bought some pear from Woodcraft Supply. They have a store in Richmond,and lots of other franchise stores around the country. But,their wood costs more than their machines!! Not really joking.

I've bought wood in small quantities from Woodcraft, when they had sales going. The nearest store to me is more than an hour away, so I don't generally do it. George, I know you've made many really fine historical instruments. I've assumed that the "pearwood" that was generally used for renaissance instruments was Swiss Pear. Am I right in assuming that?

The vihuela will have 12 strings, but the neck is pretty short (10 frets), on an already fairly short scale length (620mm), and the strings are intended to be gut - so it's not like this is going to have a ton of tension. I imagine I'd be fine with almost anything for the neck, within reason. Do you agree?

Overall, I'm leaning towards substituting local hard maple... I may also cheat and use rosewood for the pegs and the bridge, since I've got some nice pieces lying around.

Back to the OP's question:

1. You can get american pearwood in the US if you search. There's a guy that goes to orchards and salvages woods. Google him.
    2. Apple wood would be a very nice substitute, but hard to get!
    3. Maple will work great
    4. Cherry will work, but look different. Have fun!

In terms of your tooling----
    1. ironically, Michi, Leo, Ervin all use the same crock pot as you with a thermometer and glass bottle of hide glue inside. It works better than the $200 gluepot.
    2. Nothing wrong with your bending iron. Lots of pros do the same.
    3. Bruce Sexuaer recently tested the Keenevo bending blanket (available off Amazon). Preliminary impressions are really good, and Bruce is pretty picky.