Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardwood Source

Hardwood Source

A few yeas ago I found a source on the Creeek for 1/8" thick X 12" long X 5 1/2" wide hardwood (walnut, maple, mahogany). I looked back through prior posts, but do not find whre I got them from. Anyone have a source?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

Unless you need a lot of it, when I need something like that, I just go to Rocklers or Woodcraft.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

George Perzel is the guy. I've bought several orders of his wood and have been very pleased with it.

https://www.laserarts.net/
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Another recommendation for Mr. Perzel here.

So how does his price (with shipping) compare to Rockler?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Shipping has been the killer every time I've ordered wood online/mail order. It's hard to beat local pricing that way, unless you just don't have any options where you are located; or you're trying to get something that is rare. Just my $.02.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    I haven't bought from him in awhile, but at the time, even with shipping, he was way cheaper than Rockler.

And I certainly haven't noticed Rockler's prices coming down any lately.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Rockler and Woodcraft tend to be at the high end for wood like that. I only use them if I want to actually see something first hand before buying. Or if I am caught by a lack of planning on my part.

I never did use George Pezel I am afraid. To be honest, I forgot all about him each time I got wood. (I now have a sticky on my monitor so I hopefully wont forget him) In those instances I used Ocoochhardwoods.com and found them reasonable. Certainly less than Rockler. As I remember now though, George's prices were better yet. Plus you are supporting a fellow SMC'er!! <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Rockler and Woodcraft tend to be at the high end for wood like that. I only use them if I want to actually see something first hand before buying. Or if I am caught by a lack of planning on my part.
    As I recall, George just does maple, oak, and walnut (and maybe one other that I can't remember), resawn from end-cuts he gets from a local flooring manufacturer. Rocker/Woodcraft have a bunch of exotics in 1/8" and 1/4", but it's usually only 3"-4" wide.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Colorado Heirloom should be able to do this for you.
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

George also has mahogany. His is rough sanded and unfinished.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Ocooch Hardwoods is good. www.ocoochhardwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    George also has mahogany. His is rough sanded and unfinished.
    Mike, I've never seen mahogany on his list, and I've purchased from him several times. Are you sure it wasn't brazilian cherry (jatoba)? I know that's his other selection, which I have tried.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corbeil View Post
    Mike, I've never seen mahogany on his list, and I've purchased from him several times. Are you sure it wasn't brazilian cherry (jatoba)? I know that's his other selection, which I have tried.
    Could well be, but I only bought it the one time, ages ago. Whatever it was cut a lot harder than the other three, and mahogany usually isn't a problem for me.

We have a Macbeath's hardwood here in town, they have a few more places in California and one in Indiana-

I don't do much wood, the only thing I've ever bought from them is alder veneer to make business cards from,
    but the place is impressive, and everyone I've ever steered to them has called me back to thank me, so maybe check them out...

http://www.macbeath.com/
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle