Thread: Free Hand Sharpening with Garrett Hack

Blog Entries

Free Hand Sharpening with Garrett Hack

A good instructional video for anyone thinking of trying to sharpen without a holder.

Free Hand Sharpening

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I can watch Garrett all day. Like Gary Rogowski, he has a way of presenting information that I am very receptive to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I can watch Garrett all day. Like Gary Rogowski, he has a way of presenting information that I am very receptive to.
    Agreed. Same thing with Paul Sellers.

Many other presenters (online schools or youtubers) may have similar hand skills but are lacking in presentation skills by comparision. No.1 and the most critical mistake they make is long-windedness! Their 30-minute videos often have only 10 minutes of substance in them, if not less. Some like to talk to themselves and some lack the professional training (many community colleges offer presentation training). A lot of woodworking DVDs suffer from the same weakness, unfortunately.

Simon

I always forget how soothing Garrett's voice is; he could lull me to sleep if I wasn't so interested in what he was talking about...

I think a lot of presenters could also do with using some editing, at least where their videos are concerned. I don't need (or want) everything sped up to 10x speed like a lot of maker videos on the YouTubes these days, necessarily - but I also don't need to watch you (and/or listen to you) actually take that plane iron from coarse, to medium coarse, to fine, to very fine, to stropping once you've talked me through it.

That said, I think it must be extraordinarily difficult to create content that's appropriate and entertaining for EVERY LEVEL of woodworker or student out there. What *I'm* interested in is unlikely to be universally interesting to beginners and experts alike... So when someone can make "the basics" of some skill entertaining, that's gold.

-Jake
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly