Thread: Maple Laminate Counter Top

Maple Laminate Counter Top

In process of building a counter top for a relative. I plan on using long grain pieces of maple, similar to a work bench top. I was going to use this as a test for a larger project a customer has asked for delivery this summer. I have been making cutting boards for the last couple years, and feel fairly competent at this project.

I plan to make this thing 1 3/4" thick and will use hard maple glued together with TB3.

The finish is still in question, would like to use a wipe on application, but will bow to your wisdom.

Anything I should think about in particular?

Sean

A counter top and wipe on finish don't belong together for me. 2 pack polyurethane is the best by far and the only finish I would offer a customer.

Secondly, I never use TB3 for counter tops. I strongly suggest either epoxy or urea formaldehyde glue. I do not offer a customer anything less. Cheers!

Thank you. I had never considered anything but TB3.

By two pack Poly, I assume you mean two part mix poly?

Sean

Blog Entries
    We use TB2 on restaurant tables. TB3 or above for exterior tables. TB3 should be fine for a maple counter top. But it's not really the glue but the finish applied.

Sean, yes, two part mix polyurethane. And apologies for disagreeing, Jack, but the glue does make a massive difference. I guarantee my work and the only tops where I have EVER had issues were back when TB3 was sold as the answer to everything so I tried it and then when the customer complained, I went back to UF or epoxy. No more problems. Cheers

Thx Wayne and Jack.

I do like the two part epoxy idea, still searching for THE glue.

The choice of glue and finish depends a LOT on where the counter top will be and how it will be used. IF it's going to be next to the sink then I would use UF glue. (I hate epoxy, but that would work, too.) If the counter top is going to be encased in a film finish then the glue you use is irrelevant IMO. As long as the film finish remains unbroken the glue will be fine. Personally, I've never had a water related failure of TB III, but I don't make/sell counter tops either.

But I wouldn't be using a film finish on a counter top that's going to be cut on. Once the film is penetrated it will self destruct from inside. Instead, I'd use the classic mineral oil/paraffin mix. It's not very durable, but it's easy to maintain and won't peel. And then I would only us UF or epoxy to glue it up.

So, it depends.

John

Its going between the fridge and stove. I do plan on using an epoxy finish, so I guess TB3 it is.

Thanks for all the discussions guys.

Sean