Thread: German Shepherd Sitting Carving

German Shepherd Sitting Carving

G Shep Sit 18 copy.jpgG Shep Sit 17 copy.jpgG Shep Sit 14 copy.jpgG Shep Sit 11 copy.jpgG Shep Sit 7 copy.jpgG Shep Sit 13 copy.jpgG Shep Sit 1 copy.JPG

Here is the latest. This is the second carving in a row for me where the client has really basically left much of the decision making to me. The Dachshund that was done for an auction for organization involved in placing dogs and caring for dogs really was left to me. So I did as close to a caricature as I get really. This one was simply somebody seeing a photo of my other Shepherd carving and wanting one like it.

Shepherd carvings especially sitting are a tough carve and then a tough job to get the coat coloration right. Their coats in this scheme go through several transitions with colors fading one into the next. I see so many shepherds with the short hairs of the muzzle and facial coats that end up darker in the head area. Mainly I think this effect of coat color happens because their coats are tighter around the head and face. So I decided to complete the piece that way. Pretty happy with the way it came out.

Enjoy him. I do have some photos that while not representing the coat color as accurately as these, are blasted with light. So you can really see into my carving passes if anybody is interested in a clearer look at my carving passes.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 03-15-2017 at 12:57 PM.