Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality of cuts with a track saw

I had the Makita and the cut was excellent, blade that comes with Makita is a really good one. I now have a used Festool
    TS75, not sure how much use the blade has but the cut quality is really good too. I will buy a new blade soon and will try the infinity track master blade, 48T for $60. I think these saws do a really good job and believe a good blade is very important.

I'm always amazed that Eureka Zone tools are never mentioned in these threads. I have their products, and they break down ply, and make straight cuts on hardwood lumber just fine. I do have a dedicated saw for the applications.

Dust collection is OK. Your saw can use any blade you want to, and it's cheaper than other products. I'm a weekend woodworking warrior, so I don't need the most expensive/better products.

http://www.eurekazone.com/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    Thanks everyone. My budget doesn't allow for the green, but I think I will look into the Makita. I don't really NEED a track saw, but dust collection is getting to be more and more WANTED. My old Craftsman circular saw doesn't have a dust collection option, buy it is REAL good at dust dispersion. Three of four cuts and my entire 3-car garage is coated with chips, and I am in serious need of a shower.

Wayne
    Wayne, I just pulled the trigger on a track saw myself and went with the Makita. I own several Festool pieces as well as a CT but simply could justify the $260ish premium for the TS55. Since the only real complaint I have heard on the Makita is the somewhat inconsistent quality of the track itself. With that in mind I wanted to go with a local supplier to eliminate the need for shipping back and forth if there was an issue. For a few more days Home Depot has the Makita kit for $397 plus another $20 discount going on now. I opted to have it delivered to the store and pick it up there. So for the saw, 55" track and a pair of the Dewalt track clamps I spent $432ish.

I think the best way to think about the cut quality is equivalent to the table saw. Depending on the blade, it could be a little better or worse but basically it is the same. A bad blade on either tool would make it worse than the other. With equivalent blades, you get equivalent cuts. That said, the blade that came with my DeWalt is better than some of my table saw blades. So maybe it is better to say equivalent to a good table saw with a good blade.

I've got a Festool ts55 myself and for sheet goods, it can't be beat. Both crosscutting and ripping are great. I've also used their solid surface blades and it sure beats pushing that heavy material across a table saw.