Thread: Glass Engraving

Glass Engraving

I have been asked to engrave a glass insert for a cabinet door. The image they want looks like intertwining branches. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to try and recreate this image or find one similar. She wants the blank spaces between the branches to be opaque so should I use some kind of pattern or gray scale in those areas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger McDowell

Blog Entries
    I would combine laser with sand blasting. Mask, vector laser the branches and then peel and blast the in-between....Just my take. You might can raster a pattern too. Window glass is cheap. Get some scrap and try!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

You can either draw the image yourself in CorelDraw or pay somebody to do it for you. I use Excaliber (William Desrochers) who will probably charge less than $20 for a quality drawing.

I believe he will be off line for a few days.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-12-2017 at 8:56 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I would use a series of vector lines as rastering would be very time consuming.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Thanks for you inputs. My thought was to combine laser with sandblasting as well but I've never done it before. What kind of mask to use?
    Roger McDowell

For glass you can't beat Ikonics Laser Tape. It applies very easily and lasers with fantastic detail!

Roger,

I would make sure your customer is clear as to the type of engraving you are offering. She may be envisioning a deeper etched sandcarving, so if you give her a laser engraved glass she will be extremely disappointed.

If she is wanting the areas in between the branches to be opaque, I would recommend a two-stage sandcarving. Sandcarve the branches first to a nice depth, then lightly frost the areas between branches with no depth. You might propose some LED lighting to beautifully highlight the deeper branch carving. That could be a very striking piece.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO