Thread: First workbench & lessons learned

First workbench & lessons learned

Hi everyone,

I've just finished my first workbench made of stud-grade pine from a partly finished room I tore down in my basement. Main tools used were my 9" radial arm saw, 6" jointer, 6" planer, router and chisels / planes. All of the legs are different thicknesses because it took varying levels of flattening depending on how warped the piece of wood was. It's 30.75" tall and 32” wide. I am 5'6" but it could still stand to be about an inch taller. It's so short length-wise because there was no hope of straightening the pieces of wood beyond that length. You can see plenty of chip outs and other such from the construction process, and there were gaps due to my lack of skill (and partly due to a square that was out 1/8" over 6", I now have a new one). It took me quite a while to build, as the most stable work surface other than the floor was the stairs. But it's finally done and I think it will serve me well. Finished with boiled linseed oil & paste wax. The vises are old broadhead & garrets I got off craigslist and restored.

1. Some wood isn't worth using. When it's filled with nails and looks like a long potato chip, don't bother.
    2. Think about a jig before building it, because it might not work. (See exhibit A, aka the worst router sled ever made)
    3. Wear eye protection when chiseling through a knot / sap. It becomes sap-nel.
    4. Fix a gap by beveling all of the other edges around it. Now it's just stylish.
    5. Keep searching - there's bound to be a spot on the floor where the bench will be level.

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Hi Eric,
    I gather this was a very low cost project and you accepted the limitations the old studs imposed on you. Old studs can be very good strong wood. Timber re-claimers have such studs cheaply. The bench is very small to claim two vises, the 'end' vise is barely any different to the front vise. Given the time, effort, and two vises the main lesson would be spending $40 on old reclaimed studs would have given you a much more useful bench. I don't think space was a serious concern.
    Most people lining vise jaws make the wood and inch or more wider than the jaw to increase grip and reduce the edge marking the work, just a suggestion.
    You have discovered the bench is a little too short, that is an easy fix at least.
    When you build your next one you can mount some equipment on this one!
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 03-13-2017 at 10:36 AM.

William, thanks for the comments! I'm not sure why I was so hesitant to spend money - maybe because I didn't want to 'screw up' something I paid for on the first try, which isn't a good reason. But you are right, next time I will head to my local shop and pick something up. I do plan on doing that for some projects soon, although I will probably get some hardwoods. As for the vises, I mounted both as I don't have any other surface to put the other one yet. I do think it will work out OK as in Paul Sellers' 'alternative to bench dogs' video, I can use clamps in the vise to provide 2 anchor points for a longer piece which should work for now.

I will definitely take your advise on the jaws as well - I made these quick out of some scrap pine, but it is way too soft to last long term. And I agree, any solid horizontal surface in a shop rarely goes to waste!

I think you did good, Eric. Use it for some time, take notes on what works and what doesn't and make the investment on the next go round. You're way ahead of many who fret over it for years and never get one made. Enjoy!

Eric given the equipment you list you have invested already; I have none of those tools! None of us want to screw things up with a limited resource. I can see from your bench you are very capable and should treat yourself to some wood!
    Ironically it's easier to screw up with power tools and in the blink of an eye. With hand tools you screw up far more slowly but it does happen. You will be surprised how good you get at fixing your mistakes. One of my 4x6 white oak bench legs decided it would rather be a banana after I cut it; stuff happens.
    On large difficult projects I take a break and make something quick & dirty for relief. It actually speeds up the main project!
    Keeping a balance between tool spending and materials so you can make stuff is important. Wood work is wonderful as you can do a lot with very little, with some basic tools you can do almost anything.
    A good bench makes life easier and more productive but you do need a fairly large, fairly flat, fairly heavy work surface as a starting point. Any time & money put into a bench is not wasted, it need not be a lot.
    You have broken the ice!