Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decided On This Tool Rack

Hopefully I haven't worn this topic out but here are a few pics of the second rack build, the one with the bottom shelf. The design (not mine) works well to hold the tools. I was surprised that it did a good job regardless of the tool size. The bottom shelf is a nice addition but it remains to be seen whether it's a chip collector. While loading the racks and shelf I thought it might be a good idea to incorporate a few holes in the shelf to accommodate a drill chuck, etc.. I'll probably modify what I have for now and eventually build something more permanent like the enclosed cabinet idea mentioned earlier. This was a fun little project.

001.jpg 002.jpg

That sure is one beautiful lathe Steve. Probably my favorite looking machine out there. One thing about making racks or some other type of container to store lathe chisels is you never make enough slots or holes to put everything in 1 place (at least for me anyway). Seems like I'm always swapping, bartering, selling or buying new tools and they never fit into the empty slot. Or if you get an 2 piece tool with a long handle it's too long to fit in the empty place you wanted it to go. Anyway, I like your racks except not a fan of having stuff on the backside of the lathe. Just too much temptation to reach over instead of walking around the lathe. For me, every type of tool used on the lathe is located behind me. Only reason for me to be on the backside is to release the lever to move the headstock. Just my opinion.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

David, Steve can speak to this, but it appears the tools are far enough behind and to the sides of the lathe that he will need to step around the lathe to access them. He may not have any other available options.

Left click my name for homepage link.

David - Thanks for the caution about not reaching over the lathe to grab a tool. John is correct though. The lathe was placed far enough away from the wall to allow the Gary Sanders light stand full movement. The tools are not within my arms reach over the lathe. I have to walk around the lathe to the racks. I'm still quite new to laying out a shop and frankly just arbitrarily placed the lathe in its current position. There were a number of places it could've gone. The thought that went into locating the racks was equally unremarkable. I recall seeing a picture of it like that so that's what I did. Everything in the shop is a work in progress and I'm sure will change as I gain more experience. In fact, after your comment I may just move one of the racks to an adjacent wall closer to my mobile grinding station. Thinking as I'm typing.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-14-2017 at 11:08 PM.

5. Looks very useful for a variety of things. Nice rack man

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    David - Thanks for the caution about not reaching over the lathe to grab a tool. John is correct though. The lathe was placed far enough away from the wall to allow the Gary Sanders light stand full movement. The tools are not within my arms reach over the lathe. I have to walk around the lathe to the racks. I'm still quite new to laying out a shop and frankly just arbitrarily placed the lathe in its current position. There were a number of places it could've gone. The thought that went into locating the racks was equally unremarkable. I recall seeing a picture of it like that so that's what I did. Everything in the shop is a work in progress and I'm sure will change as I gain more experience. In fact, after your comment I may just move one of the racks to an adjacent wall closer to my mobile grinding station. Thinking as I'm typing.

Steve,

The old adage of ask 12 turners a question and get 15 different answers certainly applies to machine lay-out. Against the wall, not against a wall, diagonal to a corner or out in the open. Most of us face challenges of trying to optimize a turning work area to the work space available to us. Some people can start from scratch and build a new space without having to compromise any details and that's great. I'm not in that situation being in a basement shop so some things like ceiling height and floor levelness have their challenges.

Here's a couple pics of my setup area in a 11' x 11' footprint . This is about my 200th rendition and have kind of settled in with this configuration. Air and vacuum units are located in a 6' x 12' room behind the door with the hollowing rig hanging on it. Except for the items hanging on the pegboard, all chucks & accessory items get put in drawers in the tool cabinets.
    Overview 1.jpgOverview 2.jpgOverview 4.jpgOverview 5.jpgOverview 7.jpg

Here's a link to a pdf the AAW published on setting up a turning woodshop back in 2014. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.woodturner.org/resource/resmgr/FUNdamentals/WFSpEdWorkstation20150903.pdf

Steve, I have my 2436 setup so that the tool rack is behind me when I am turning. I use the same type of tool rack as you. I like the rack because I can make a half turn to replace or grab a different tool. Your turning space looks as if you could turn your lathe 180 degrees. As always, YMMV.
    Joe

When I first saw this post I was just interested in making a rack or two. Now after seeing David's work area I need to rearrange my shop again! I'm fighting with space issues in a garage shop that my wife still needs to park her car in. Plus, I started turning late in my woodworking hobbyist career and have several large flatwork machines (BS, DP, 60gal. compressor, planer, TS, RT, jointer, SCMS ...).

Steve - what is that red cast looking thing up on the wall to the left side of your lathe?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    ....Steve - what is that red cast looking thing up on the wall to the left side of your lathe?

Mike
    That's the back side of a Jeep CJ grille.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-15-2017 at 6:55 PM.

It didn't take long for changes to be made. After reading Setting Up Your Woodturning Workstation and comments from Dave I moved both racks to the sides. I also made a bottom shelf for the first rack and bored some holes in it to receive a drill chuck, etc. Now, when I move to my dominant side rack I get a view (pic below) of my back yard if one of the Mister Ed doors are open.

001.jpg

Quite a view Steve.