Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Break Off Pocket Hole Screws Assembling a Piece

Ever Break Off Pocket Hole Screws Assembling a Piece

I was assembling an unseen substructure piece and I broke off three pocket hole screws. How to recover?? The only way I see is to make new pieces. Disappointing for sure.

Anyone else have this kind of luck?
    Last edited by George Bokros; 03-13-2017 at 3:00 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Nope.

Kreg screws? Drill/Driver or Impact? Hardwood, Softwood, ply? Course or fine or combo thread?

If you're breaking screws I can only guess you're tightening them too much, or possibly got a bad batch of screws.

redrill, should be hidden anyway right?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Nope.

Kreg screws? Drill/Driver or Impact? Hardwood, Softwood, ply? Course or fine or combo thread?

If you're breaking screws I can only guess you're tightening them too much, or possibly got a bad batch of screws.
    Kreg screws, drill/driver - 14 volt Milwaukee, White oak. fine thread screws

Just bought the screws yesterday at Woodcraft. They are the new bight screws as opposed to the darker colored ones I purchased long time ago. Needed 1 1/2" for 1" thick material.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    redrill, should be hidden anyway right?

Would be difficult to drill them out of part "B".
    George

I have never broke one. I strip them out more than anything. I use both a drill and impact.

I just broke three in a row driving them into white ash with my 18V impact driver. Switched to my 12V driver and broke no more. I left the broken off ones where they were, drilled another hole with a twist drill through the pocket hole at a slight angle to clear the busted end of the screw, and drove another screw. Looks perfect.

John

Working extremely dense hardwoods, I always plan to wax the screws first.
    I have a tub of old wax and just stick the screws about to be used into the wax. Then when I grab one, its ready to go.
    I cannot tell you how many times I've snapped off multiple screws in a project (most recent was hickory) but when I remembered to wax them I had no problems.

Just be sure you don't over wax and have it squeeze out onto the surface. Of if it does, clean off with mineral spirits.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Never had to wax pocket hole screws but usually wax all other screws when using red oak. Thanks for reminding me. I will drill a pilot hole and wax the screws.
    George

I wax my screws and always use a hand racheting screwdriver when putting in pocket screws. I tried using my impact driver, but felt like I didn't have enough control over the speed and torque of the screws. I like to "feel" the screws going in and snugging up to the adjoining piece. I lose that touch with the impact driver.

I've broken one or two, but not on the same project. I still believe it was my fault tightening too tight using (12v) impact driver. I used Kreg brand screws. Not sure the wood but suspect I was using white oak.

I can't remember ever breaking any Kreg screws regardless of the wood I'm driving into. Of course, I don't get ridiculous tightening them, I keep the torque relativele low on my driver and they seat fine and, at least so far, have not broken.

If I can break a screw driving into any kind of hardwood I don't use them. I will either strip out the hole or strip out the head but I've never broken one of the Quickscrews brand that I use. I test them by driving them into solid oak, no pilot hole. But I'm just starting a new box of 1000, so with my luck they will start snapping.

Dan

Blog Entries
    Didn't the older brownish Kreg screws have a coating that helped with this issue, kind of like wax? I liked their look better when left exposed as I often use the truss head screws in non-pocket situations. Disappointed they are not available any more.
    NOW you tell me...

I pre-drilled the hole in piece "B" and waxed the screws and no problems.
    George