Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multi-Gloat, many pics

Chris nice gloat. What a haul. Oh yea and a beautiful pen turner to boot. What a weekend! Huh.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I noticed that you disappeared for a while....thought you might be on a business trip...But nope...You were having fun!!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Congratulations on the new tools, but better yet on your daughters accomplishment on the lathe. But then she does have a pretty good teacher.

Congrats to both of you.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

4. Congrats on the all the tool gloats but I think your daughter at the lathe is best thing going!!!! I know when I finally talked my son into turning some pens was one of the most fun days of our lives. Hopefully your daughter will have turning as a hobby for life!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

7 years old??

Wow, I was a little shocked to learn that a 7 year old was using the lathe! Obviously you are not worried about kids with powertools? I was just curious how you got her started so young without worrying about it?

I have a 6 year old who desperately wants to use my powertools, but I have to get over my fears first! Of course, I would never let him use them by himself until he is, uh, 25.

Very cool gloats. As another father of a seven year old red head girl, you've got me thinking about seeing if she wants to play. I don't think she is ready yet (especially with a skew chisel). But maybe it won't be too far away (just need a stand for her).
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Thanks again to everybody regarding the gloats. Now, about the young lady and use of power tools. First, she has been allowed to use, under direct supervision, a scroll saw and a mini lathe. All the usual safety satndards apply. Only hand tool she has used in conjunction with the lathe is the roughing gouge, which works perfect for slimline pens. Dad is always watching like a hawk...

Chris,

Looks like she's got great technique. I like the way her finger is up against the tool rest to guide the gouge. I keep trying to get my kids to do that, but they shy away from getting that close to the rest.

I think I could learn a few things from her.....

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Thanks again to everybody regarding the gloats. Now, about the young lady and use of power tools. First, she has been allowed to use, under direct supervision, a scroll saw and a mini lathe. All the usual safety satndards apply. Only hand tool she has used in conjunction with the lathe is the roughing gouge, which works perfect for slimline pens. Dad is always watching like a hawk...
    Chris, congratulations on the tools and even more congratulations on introducing your daughter to woodworking in the manner that you have done.

I am a firm believer that children should be introduced to appropriate power tools as soon as possible and you seem to have chosen a good set of tools for her. I plan to introduce my granddaughter to my scroll saw in about 6 months (when she is 6).

Hi Frank,

The scroll saw was the first power tool I allowed her to use. In my opinion, it may be the safest tool (powered or otherwise) you can use. I put a spiral extra fine blade on it and let her cut Xmast ornaments out with it. The spiral bit is so fine that you can touch it while under power without injury (but, I didn't tell her that). She really enjoyed drawing shapes on scrap wood and then cutting them out on the scroll saw. Quarter inch ply is her favorite since it cuts easy and I have an abundance of it. Anytime you can get you kids to enjoy an activity with you, you win...