Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best way to set a hand plane.

The best way to set a hand plane.

Hi guys I frequently browse the forum. Mostly for sharpening stone threads since I am a straight razor user I had a problem buying thousands of dollars worth of stones... kept my favourites and sold the rest and now I want to make some boxes for them. I read Paul Seller's article about making a box and thought it seemed simple enough.

So I picked up a couple old pieces of hard wood and borrowed a few planes. 1 block plane and another bench plane. I borrowed these from my uncle. They are complete crap but I don't have the money for a new one. Anyways they are plastic handled metal ones from china. The base (sole?) of the plane wasn't flat so I ran it on my DMT until it was. Took down the high spots. I then turned my attention to the blade (iron?). Forgive me I know very little. I flattened the back 1" from the edge of the bevel back. I didn't bother flattening the whole blade as it was terribly out of flat. I tried though but my elbow is hurtin'. That should be enough anyways I think right?

I proceeded to flip the blade around and take out the machine marks from the factory on the bevel. I did this with a DMT C. Proceeded to norton fine India. Worked the bevel. Flipped it over and worked the back and be then alternated strokes for a few passes. Stropped on some green paste and then clean leather and the blade is sharp now. Quite a process actually just to flatten the blade...

Here is what I am wondering... how far out of the bottom of the plane should I set the blade? I'm trying to plane wood that is already relatively flat. It's finished too, I am mostly trying to take that off and make it flatter if possible. I might be chasing my tail but I'm having one hell of a time trying to get the plane to take material off. Trying to find a medium between biting into the wood, leaving me with gouges and doing nothing.

I can add pictures if it will help.

Please simplify any woodworking terms that I do not know, so I can understand better.

-Scott
    Last edited by Scott Archi; 03-13-2017 at 5:20 PM.

Start with a relatively flat piece of scrap. Retract the iron until it is not cutting at all. Advance it a little bit (1/2 turn to a turn on the adjuster). Slide it across the scrap. Keep doing that until the blade just starts to catch. Flip the plane upside down and site down the sole. You are looking to see if the blade is relatively even or if it is skewed so it is cutting on one side more than the other. Use the lateral adjustment to get it as close to even as you can. Take a small piece of scrap, and holding the plane upside down, use the corner of the scrap to check and see if the blade is in fact cutting evenly (by taking a small shaving on each side and comparing them in thickness, width, etc.). Make small adjustments with the lateral adjustment until you are relatively happy. Try it on your big piece of scrap. See if it cuts smoothly.

If it is too hard to push and leaves a bad surface, retract the blade a little (don't touch the lateral adjustment now), and go through the process of advancing it a little, and trying it until it is taking a decent shaving. It is a process of trial and error. Too deep and it won't cut well. Set too fine, and it can take a long time to get the defects you are trying to correct out of the stock.

Remember to get those glorious full length transparent shavings you see in videos you need both a properly set up plane and a board that is already almost perfectly flat. If you have a .001 shaving that is full length and width, you pretty much by definition must have a board that is flat to at least .001 for the length of the plane sole.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lawrence; 03-13-2017 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Typos (iPad thinks it knows how to spell better than I do)

Once I set this I will not have to again?

Should I be aiming for this 0.001" shaving?

Scott, when I first started using a hand plane, I had the same frustrations. I came to learn that a thin set blade may not take much off at all at first. I had to understand that it was just taking the peaks of high spots off at first. After a dozen strokes or so, it began taking more and more. So, if at first it doesn't seem to be working, give it a dozen strokes. If it's still not taking much of a shaving, advance the iron slightly. You can set the iron deeper at first, if needed, then retract as you get the board flatter. Keep in mind you aren't going to get a full width/full length shaving until the board is nearly flat.
    Good luck, and have fun.

Oh... You will always be fiddling with it... That's the nature of things like this.

A well set plane is a thing of wonder and beauty. Many woods will plane to a surface like greased glass.

Here's the thing.... For stock removal - you want a deeper cut.. You want a nice thick shaving... A little thinner than what takes a lot of effort. For smoothing - you want a fine cut... Barely take a whisper.

Then.. Different woods and different grains take different tool pressures to cut. And that means some will need a little more blade - some will need less. End grain won't let you cut as deep as long grain for example.

Oh... And just in case you wonder why anyone would buy a $400 block plane... You will soon find out .

Blog Entries
    Scott,

Maybe you could get a 1x4 piece of white pine about 3' long and start making shavings. Make thick shavings, thin shavings and then end up with translucent shavings. I sometimes make translucent shavings because I can. In other words, experiment with the plane until you understand what you can do with it. I bet your issues will go away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Oh... You will always be fiddling with it... That's the nature of things like this.

Oh... And just in case you wonder why anyone would buy a $400 block plane... You will soon find out .
    John, would you care to elaborate in the sentence above?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Archi View Post

Howdy Scott and Welcome to the Creek.

There have been a few threads on making boxes for stones you may find interesting:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Oil-stone-box

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ning-stone-box

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...J-Smith-s-work

Every time you sharpen a blade you will need to reset the blade adjustments.

One of the hidden treasures of SMC is the Neanderthal wisdom FAQs:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

It contains an old post of mine to help anyone getting a start with hand planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...th-Hand-Planes

Thin shavings can be mesmerizing, but are mostly useful to determine how sharp a blade is or for setting the lateral adjustment. They are also useful for a few final passes when smoothing a piece to help avoid tear out.

Here is what I am wondering... how far out of the bottom of the plane should I set the blade? I'm trying to plane wood that is already relatively flat. It's finished too, I am mostly trying to take that off and make it flatter if possible. I might be chasing my tail but I'm having one hell of a time trying to get the plane to take material off. Trying to find a medium between biting into the wood, leaving me with gouges and doing nothing.
    This sounds like the sole of your plane may be bowed from front to back (heel to toe). A plane like this will not cut until the blade is set for a deep cut. Then the blade will dig in trying pull the sole flat. This will cause a gouge as soon as the plane's tension pulls the blade back out of the work piece.

There could also be other problems with a poor edge on the blade, the chip breaker not mating flat across the blade, a poor frog to base attachment and a few other problems common to inexpensive planes. These are often called "objects that look like a plane."

I have a plane that looks like it lost in a knife fight that turned into a gun fight before it was run over by a truck. It isn't pretty, but it can do this:

0•00025%22?.jpg

That is about 1/4 of an 0.001" shaving. According to the micrometer it is between 0.0002" and 0.0003". All that means is the blade is sharp, the blade is held solid, well seated on the frog, shavings are not catching under the chip breaker and the sole is flat enough to not have a problem with flexing. The plane can also take controlled shavings much thicker than this. It wouldn't be a very good plane if it could only take tissue thin shavings.

Here is another old thread of mine from the Neanderthal wisdom FAQs:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

It might be helpful in trying to get your plane working a bit better.

Good luck and let us know how things come along.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Amazing, when my reply was started there was only one response to the original post.

BTW, all the above is good and relevant information.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks everyone. I will take a look at all the posted links and thoroughly read them. I will post a picture of the plane it will help with diagnosis... maybe.

Learning lots I think it will be easier to set the blade on soft wood than the very hard wood I'm trying with now. I will source a soft piece of pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Archi View Post

Once it is set, you can use it until it is dull. Then you have to sharpen, and will have to go through the adjustment process again.

I have never found much use for the .001 shaving. It takes a lot of skill to have a plane sharpened and adjusted to the point it can take a shaving that fine. But in terms of getting a board flat and square, it may be helpful to keep in mind that a .001 shaving will take 125 strokes to eliminate a 1/8 inch of twist, wind, or other defect. Thicker shavings make that work go quicker.

I am with Mr. Kopke with regard to a potential hollow in your plane sole. Also, make sure your blade rests well on the frog. If it doesn't, it will chatter and gouge once you give it enough depth to engage the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    John, would you care to elaborate in the sentence above?
    Sure....
    you have to adjust the planes for the wood you are cutting, the size shavings, the wear and the sharpness of the iron. And so it's not like you just set it once and forget it. Even with the same plane on the same work - you may need to knock down a high spot, so you set it deeper, then back off to smooth out the wood once you get it there.

The second bit about the $400 block plane... So the joy of a good plane isn't just that it comes flattened and well squared up.... That's certainly nice and it saves you a lot of time.... But its other things as well - like good smooth adjustment mechanisms that aren't hitchy for depth and lateral. A mouth that adjusts properly. A nicely bedded thicker iron that doesn't chatter like the thin ones do. A properly hardened iron made of good steel, A lever cap that goes on right and a blade tightener that works smoothly.

Unfortunately - there's just no margin in the price of a $20 plane to get these things and to make any adjustments if they are needed. And so you get what you get. A plane that's probably useful for some limited work... But you are going to spend hours and hours and hours on sorting it out to get it there.

Unfortunately - there's just no margin in the price of a $20 plane to get these things and to make any adjustments if they are needed. And so you get what you get. A plane that's probably useful for some limited work... But you are going to spend hours and hours and hours on sorting it out to get it there.
    $400.00 for a new Block Plane. That's a major turnaround John from posting the merits of hardening old chisels blades.

Why don't you like my chisels? I thought you gents from down under were all about rough and ready... There's Mr. Right and there's Mr. Right Now... The cheap rehardened chisels are the bird in the hand while I sort out securing the ones in the bush. . I already had my go at old rust and that was it's own dead end rat hole..

The best block plane I currently own is the Woodriver low angle. It's world's better than the Stanley planes I have - not only for squareness, but for a decent iron and pretty good adjustment. I am seriously looking at the Lie Nielsen, Veritas, and Clifton offerings. I use my block planes a lot... And for me - it's worth it.

But - when you just need to get something going for the one job - the plane in your hand beats the one in the store... Get the iron good and sharp and go at it.