Thread: Best tape for 6 inch PVC DC connections

Best tape for 6 inch PVC DC connections

What is the best tape to use for the PVC Dust collection fittings? I've heard just metal duct tape then I've heard just Duct Tape, then the Xtreme Tape. Thoughts?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Metal duct tape is far superior to duck tape. The metal tape will not leak air and the glue is better. The duck tape will leak and deteriorate over time. The metal tape will not, at least mine hasn't yet.

I used white Gorilla Tape....very strong and sticky.

Blog Entries
    I have never taped mine except for one that is adapted up from 6" PVC to 7" metal. No leaks at the stock slip-fit joints. Passes the incense smoke test. No worries.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you never want it to leak (or come apart for that matter) the one I use is Hardcast Mastic Foil. Joking aside, it will come apart, but requires some hard work to get the mastic off of the joint

Blog Entries
    Andy, I'm just about to redo my dust collection after moving my shop. I was planning to use mastic. My plan is to cap the end, put some mastic around the joint and turn on the collector and let it sort of suck the mastic in. What I wasn't going to do is to slather loads of the stuff on and use it like glue. I still plan to use some sheet metal screws to hold the joint fast physically. The mastic would just be for the seal. I didn't get a lot of mastic. Just a tube to see how far it goes.

+1 on not using duck tape. That stuff just dries up and falls off. If I were taping, it would be the metal stuff. But like I wrote, I'm trying mastic this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    If you never want it to leak (or come apart for that matter) the one I use is Hardcast Mastic Foil. Joking aside, it will come apart, but requires some hard work to get the mastic off of the joint

Get an ASTM rated duct tape (the kind that's actually made for ductwork). It will be stamped with an ASTM label at intervals on the tape. It may be in the plumbing supplies, not with the masking tape, and will cost 3-5X more. I removed some after 15 years in use and it was still like new, unlike either "duck tape" or metal foil tape installed around the same time.

Thanks Roger, that's exactly the stuff I just bought.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.